Mother's Day
Ah Mother's Day. A most peculiar holiday, and my Mom had high expectations of it. I'm not sure we ever performed up to snuff. That I don't miss but I do miss her. She found this poem March 17, 1985 in a ladies magazine. I know because she dated it in pen, she was a dedicated labeler of things. It reminded her of her mother after she died and she kept it fastened to her refrigerator until she herself died in June of 1993. Then Dad gave it to me. It's been on my refrigerator ever since, getting yellow and wrinkly. I found a plastic magnetic picture frame to keep it in better condition. I've copied it verbatim with the author's name.
Mother
(for Mary Ann)
When I lost my mother
I found her days later
standing in a field
of tall grass
overlooking
the sea.
It was spring.
She was directing the tide
with one hand
while organizing a circus
of wildflowers with the other.
Making things look easy
was something she did daily.
A little bit at a time,
she used to tell me.
I can see her at work now
on this page
putting things into place
one foot in front of the other.
Robert Edwards
Thousand Oaks, CA



6 Comments:
Wow, what a poem..it speaks volumes, doesn't it? We lived in between a world of Alaskan wildflowers and a five ring circus in our house..no doubt about that! And yes, it is a most peculiar holiday! Most mothers don't love it..just how it is..I think its the circus part of life that takes away from the wildflowers. My seedlings are coming home to roost, maybe I'll be the circus, today ;)
What a beautiful tribute Celia. One of the most beautiful things I've ever read.
that was my mother to a "T". Thanks Celia for sharing this with me! Happy Mother's Day to you too!
Love it - so simple, so true. Happy Mother's Day, Celia.
Just lovely. Magic stuff. My mother is over there watching with a martini in hand. Me? Not a fan of Mother's Day as I was not a very good mother.
I love this. My Mom is standing with Mage's Mom. Still, she was a pretty good person. Dianne
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home