My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Monday, May 20, 2013

Outside of town, horses look great but how is that barn still standing?

"Everyone leaves home and everyone finds a place to call home. Exodus, it turns out, is Genesis." Mickey Pearlman - A Place Called Home.  Lovely book, 1997 I think.  Twenty women writing about home.  I read it when it first came out and I'm reading it again. 

I moved here to Eastern Washington nearly 13 years ago after a life living on and about the Oregon and Washington coast.  I have family here but I wondered if I would ever feel at home here.  I miss the rain, the lush greenery, and the easy proximity to the ocean.  I don't like living very far from relatives and friends so living on the coast was out.  Make what you will out of that.  We moved a lot following my Dad's profession.  He and Mom didn't buy a house until I was 15.  After I married they moved again to Portland, Oregon taking my two younger sisters with them.  Chewing this over with a sister or two, I find that my home is more with people rather than places.  The closest thing to a physical home are my two grandmother's houses.  Even after 13 years here I don't feel permanent.  But then we really aren't permanent are we? 

Sunday I got up feeling icky and blah and found my blood sugar was low.  After I ate a good breakfast and I felt better.  In the afternoon I packed up my camera, water, and a fish burrito made from the leftovers of dinner and drove off to see what was going on outside of town.  There are large wheat farms, small farms, vineyards, and more wheat fields.  A little farther where the horses pictured above live, you begin to climb into the foothills of the Blue Mountains where Oregon seeking pioneers managed to drag their wagons to reach the Walla Walla Valley and proceeded make off with the lands the native peoples occupied.  A piece of the Oregon Trail can be seen here to the west of town complete with deep ruts.  I like it up in them thar hills.

My new phone and I are becoming friends.  It remained connected while I traveled in the hills, though I didn't see a tower anywhere.  I have yet to discover all the reasons it chirps at me from time to time.  My "texting' leaves at lot to be desired.  I now understand the "why" of the abbreviated phone language although I mostly laboriously still type everything out.  I may yet give in and send more "I luv u's" than the whole thing.  Two of my grandgirls said they were thrilled their grandmas were getting with it; perhaps we are not the antiques they thought we were.  Snicker, yes, that's exactly what I am.

10 Comments:

Blogger Optimistic Existentialist said...

Hope you continue to get to feeling better Celia. I am also getting a new phone soon and I dread the adjustment lol.

May 21, 2013 at 4:39 AM  
Blogger Kathe W. said...

having just moved out of Oregon to upper Northern California I know what you mean about people making your place a home.
The move has been a good one, but is taking me longer to adjust than I ever thought ....we have made some good friends here and that is what it takes!
Love your photo! Have a great week!

May 21, 2013 at 6:34 AM  
Blogger Kay Dennison said...

Your cottage is just adorable. I have dreams of finding my own cottage. The question is: can I manage it?

May 21, 2013 at 1:42 PM  
Blogger Maggie May said...

Yes...... its usually about people, isn't it? Can always go off on holiday to places you like....... but I know that USA is a massively large country so maybe I'm thinking along the terms of the ease of travelling in little'ol England, where everything is within easy reach! Mainly of the sea!
Maggie x

Nuts in May

May 22, 2013 at 10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have thought about Oregon, but my closest relatives would be in Southern California, a world away. Guess I will stay here in the Nation's Capital. Dianne

May 23, 2013 at 10:49 AM  
Blogger Mage said...

My life is tied to the ocean . Right now I am one mile up the hill and not happy about it. LOL

You do sound great. Hugs.

May 24, 2013 at 9:43 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Ha ha - I don't even know how to text. Just the thought of punching teeny, tiny keys makes me dizzy. I don't have a smart phone either - but will one day.....

I must say I feel much like you do. I'd love to live by the ocean, but my family is here - very much inland. I'd rather be with children and grands than alone and admiring the sea. When I go on vacation, it's always to the ocean.

Like your pic of the horse. Sounds like you had a great day driving through the country and snapping pictures.
Hugs

May 27, 2013 at 5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to be near the ocean, but on the East Coast that is difficult. One thing I like about the West Coast is that so much of it has been retained as public beach or natural preserve. May it stay like that.

I will check out this book, it looks interesting. Dianne

June 5, 2013 at 8:43 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

My husband grew up in a military family and feels a lot of those same sentiments about where exactly home is.

June 10, 2013 at 1:44 PM  
Blogger Mage said...

Dear you....it's june now. How are you? Hugs.

June 15, 2013 at 8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home