My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Saturday, May 4, 2013




The Walla Walla Farmer's Market opens today, hooray.  Although that may not be exactly what they are calling themselves this year.  Last year the organization had a bust up and one group went to the Fairgrounds and one stayed downtown.  I'm not sure there's enough customers here to support two of them but we'll see.  Downtown is better for me, close to home and the Fairgrounds are, well dusty when the wind's is up.  So be it.  I plan to visit them both anyway; I love Farmer's Markets.  We seem to be experiencing a lot of this kind of struggle here lately.  The county library and the city library broke their connection after a scrap about money. Neither side would compromise and now both have less to offer.  Going to both requires buying into a yearly membership at one as an outsider, an option I am not including in my budget. I suppose it goes on in larger towns as well but as we are smaller the lack of give and take is highly visible.

On a lighter note...I went to see Bye Bye Birdie at WAHI last night.  Fun stuff, and of course it was wonderful that my grandgirl was in it singing and fan-girling for Birdie on stage.  Then afterwards she went with her cast to knosh at the local Sharis.  Then it hit me.  She's growing up, the beautiful little girl who kept special jammies in one of my dressers drawers is building her way to her own grown up life.  Now she is a beautiful young woman smiling at her friends, and young men are smiling at her.  And her lovely cousin, six months older, went to Greece last year sans parents.  Lions, and tigers, and bears oh my!

Both my sons left home at the same time leaving me wondering how I had missed (or ignored) the cues that they were growing up, or maybe I was mentally trying to postpone the inevitable.  I am surprised to be re-experiencing that exciting moment and the accompanying sense of loss as my grandchildren disappear into their own lives.  Of course I still see them, but their lives are no longer so open to me, which is as it should be, now they choose their time and what to share. Hmm, this is not turning out to be a lighter note.  Still, it is exciting to see how they find themselves and their talents, and find the people and things they love.  And I will once again adapt, maybe get better at it. Since they go down in age to only a year old, this cycle will repeat and repeat and repeat.  Duh, of course it does.

Better get my walking shoes on before all the green onions and asparagus is gone at the market.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kathe W. said...

Oh my goodness- your post has so much to discuss! where do I srart???
Hmmm okay #1 Farmers markets? Go to the one that suits you best!
#2. Libraries? Oh yes- I used to volunteer at the most used library in the State of Oregon where there were 400 volunteers! Now I volunteer at a smal teeny tiny library that has perhaps 10 volunteers?? BUT we all count and we keep the library open- plus it's a bit more personal and I like that! and we have art shows evey two months also!
#3. I have no grandchildren but I when I have children around me I make sure they feel good about themselves.

May 4, 2013 at 7:59 PM  
Blogger Rain Trueax said...

Sounds familiar to what I went through and see now with the next generation. It's what it should be but still feels like a loss.

May 5, 2013 at 7:12 AM  
Blogger Celia said...

Kathe - volunteering at the library sounds like a plan, it's one of my favorite places. There's plenty to do!

Rain - thanks, I know I'm one of many ;-)

May 5, 2013 at 11:17 AM  
Blogger Optimistic Existentialist said...

Life is a cycle isn't it? It's so beautiful that way.

Also, I am now craving asapragus :)

May 6, 2013 at 5:13 AM  
Blogger Celia said...

OE - the asparagus was delish, I roasted it with a little olive oil and pepper. I use the leftovers in salad or just to nibble.

May 6, 2013 at 8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home