My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Updated Communications


OK, I got a smart phone.  I'm thoroughly Modern Millie.  Where do I get a kid to show me how to use it?  Oh, right, I have several grandkids.  I decided to try Straight Talk.  I liked my old carrier but I liked the ST price better than my old carrier's price.  Turns out, at least here, ST runs on the same carrier anyway!?  Weird.  Right off the bat they tell you it may take two or more days for the thing to boot up.  Is boot up the right term, activate, what?  It took three days, I'm cool with that.  Meanwhile I learned to move icons around, entered some phone numbers, and voila, this morning I got the email from them saying use your code and activate.  I am up and running.  Now I am trying to connect with my wifi.  Soon, soon. 

I have small hands but am fat-fingered trying to text.  How do those children get the flying fingers of texting.  Will it get better?  My maiden voyage in texting was successful though.  Then my son called and I failed to answer before he hung up.  Which reminds me, I guess I'd better set up my voice mail.  Not much else is going to get done here today.  I did get on Amazon and order a rubbery purple cover and a car charger.  I was sorely tempted to get several colors of covers but one thing at a time.  Want to make sure it really fits.  Many of the reviews on other covers complained that they slipped off on you.  Don't want that.  You can see what really matters to me.  I see Blogger doesn't even have the words text or texting in their spell checker. 

The new phone is like talking into a thin deck of cards.  I liked my old flip phone.  Too bad, moving on.  I had one of the first cell phones ever in Washington State.  Much better than my pager.  Had to get a bigger purse to carry it in, they were weighty.  I loaned it to my teen aged sons when they went off on trips in their beater cars.  Now I feel like I can't get along without it.  I still have a house phone but it is the most basic of services;  I dropped the long distance on it since  I have unlimited calling, unlimited texting, unlimited data - unlimited I say!  Ha! Will I even be able to see any data I chose to get.  The phone is a Samsung Android with a nice sized screen but I have Celia 1940's size eyes.  I can probably see menus from restaurants, yummy, and maps can be gotten with voice directions, but I'm sure not going to be watching any movies on it.  Maybe YouTube, if I squint really hard.

2 Comments:

Blogger Maggie May said...

Err....... I think I'll keep my flip phone that I am familiar with...... while the rest of the world passes me by with their new technology! Good luck with it! Hope you get it under control very soon.
Maggie x

Nuts in May

May 12, 2013 at 12:52 AM  
Blogger Celia said...

Maggie, me too!

May 12, 2013 at 7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home