Shakespeare
The weekend of August 10, we, my two sons and DIL, took a little break went to the Powerhouse Theater's presentation of "The Merchant of Venice." It was very, very good, but I had forgotten how disturbing it was. It was also the wedding anniversary of DIL and younger son. Good as the play was I wondered if I couldn't have picked some cheerier entertainment. They all seemed to enjoy it though.
The weekend of the end of July, I ended up in the ER with some serious asthma. I went to Urgent Care my chest hurt like crazy, I shouldn't have said it that way, they went "oh, oh, old lady - chest pains" - off to the ER with me gasping "no, no, asthma," all the way. After taking lots of blood and doing a electrocardiogram, they agreed, it was asthma and gave me a treatment, and a prescription for prednisone and called my son to come and get me. The heat, dust, and smoke drifting in from various wildfires just did me in.
The following Monday post-ER, I made an offer on the condo of my choice and started in on the bathrooms in my house which were stalled in mid-redo and had been for months (years?). The idea was to move somewhere with no gardening, no stairs I had to use, and this place had a nice pool. Someone made a better offer on Condo One and snatched it out of my grasp. I looked at a Condo Two in the same place and tried to figure out how much it would take to put it in good condition and if that was something I wanted to do. The Condo Two is not as nicely situated and looks down over a church parking lot. I have to admit that they would be fairly quiet neighbors but I'm used to looking out from under large trees and across the street into more large trees. Poop! I just don't want to live in that one. I don't love it. I loved this little cottage house when I bought it and still do. Just not the repair part. How ever in the frantic rush to get the house in selling condition quite a bit of neglected upkeep got completed or started such as the main bathroom.
Now the bathrooms have new floors, new paint, new cabinets and sinks, much of it installed by Heather my daughter-in-law, who is the most amazing daughter in the world. I can take a shower at home again. I have been the parts runner and clean-up crew. Then my asthma roared back. Turns out the output from dust, cleaning, paint, and the new cabinets was more than my twitchy lungs could take. It made me wonder I got the idea I could live in a condo that needed rehabbing from top to bottom, even if it was a bargain. All my sisters were saying "no, no." It's a testimony to not making big decisions while you are under duress or ill. At least my pulmonologist didn't call me stupid, I did that myself. So much for plan A and plan B. But I have given away about half a garage's worth of stuff out of the house that I will no longer have to dust, maintain, or store. I found out I lost a couple of shingles off the roof but otherwise it is in good shape. I painted the front porch (I can paint outside) so it will make it through the winter's depredations. The electrician didn't show up Friday so there are still no lights in the main bathroom but the new lights will be nicer and easier to keep dusted, less frou-frou. Onward. Thinking about if there is a plan C.



13 Comments:
Hope you feel better soon. They used to not think asthma was a big deal (I've also had it) but now they see it as a lot more serious. I've had sinus troubles laying me low from the same reason and for the first time am thinking I can hardly wait for fall and the rains to clear the air!
There is always a plan C and even a D. If there is no super rush just take your time. New sales and new ideas will emerge.
Do take care, and slow down a little. I work one day and have a day off the next.
I hope there are no more asthma outbreaks anytime soon my friend. And I have always wanted to see "The Merchant of Venice." ni a theater or opera house!
Thanks for the good wishes. Asthma has been with me lifelong, but I still have to remember to manage it and pace myself and I didn't.
Rain, I too am waiting for the fall rains to begin. Be well.
My brother as a little guy had many go rounds with severe Asthma.
Be careful and don't over do.
The place of your heart will find you. Keep the faith.
Yes, plan C. Consider going to home Dumpo and getting yourself a real respirator. I only survived many of my dusty or smelly art classes because of my respirator. Plan C 1/2 might be to stay where you are for a while since you love it.
Ha, ha, Mage, home Dumpo, you're right about the respirator. We named it Ho Depot when half its sign went down in a wind storm and then it stuck.
Yes, The Merchant of Venice. The "pound of flesh." I've often thought about that. Shakespeare was a genius. What if he wrote mystery stories?
I rarely read blogs now, but thought I better come over and see how you have been doing this summer. So sorry about the asthma. I have suffered with asthmatic bronchitis much of the past year - so scary to gasp for breath. I dread the winter - will make things even more difficult for me with all the rains.
just thinking here that moving into a place which contains multiple housing where others can create all sorts of changes in air quality might not be a great idea. odors drift as to the chemicals that create them. i will go now and read back further to catch up on your news. hope you are feeling much better soon. hugs.
A brand new loo is nice, hopefully the asthma goes and stays away
Just a note to tell you I love your new profile pic!
Thanks Brighid.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home