My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Saturday, August 3, 2013

Wagon ho!


Last week I saw a condo for sale that was 1) affordable and 2) I really, really liked.  The kicker is I have to sell my house first.  So I made a contingent offer and my real estate agent came over to look at my house.  If the contingent offer is accepted my house must be listed within five days.  We made a list of things that needed to be done, like painting the front porch, and so on.  The big hang-up is I had been updating the bathrooms and let finishing them slide for assorted reasons.  Could we finish in five days?  We, me, my daughter-in-law and I thought we could.  Off I went to acquire new cabinets and flooring, and paint, and whatever it is that you always find out you need one more of on a project.  After five days we had the walls prepped in the half bath, the floor started, and started prepping the walls in the main bath.  It needs new light fixtures and being an old house, an electrician.  Then surprise, the sellers had an open house, and someone else made an offer they accepted, although I am told I was the only other offer they have.  Boo hoo! So if it falls through...

Meanwhile, it's going to take longer to finish and the electrician can't come for two weeks any way, the busy season here kicked in. My nearly 90 year old house always needs the ministration of an electrician when it comes to wiring anything.  The half bath in the big bedroom has lovely new light yellow walls, and the floor is getting started today.  The light in there is marvelous.

Many granddaughters came over during the week and scrubbed kitchen cabinets, pulled weeds, and pruned the shrubbery.  Now you can get into what I call my "Bees and Butterflies" backyard without getting clawed to death by a rose bush or raspberries.  The rug guy came and cleaned all the carpets which are in very good shape much to my surprise.

It's been a big week and one heavy day takes to me two days to get over, if I can get them.  Delightfully my 15 year old grand-girl sang in the Walla Walla Symphony's concert event for their Rock Camp for budding musicians, songwriters, and singers.  Those kids were marvelous.  She was the best girl singer there, you are probably laughing at me for saying that but she was.  And the other kids were amazingly great, quite a few very professional.  It was a pleasant evening outside, a bit cool, but the rain we've been oddly getting stopped for afternoon and evening and let the kids perform.  Now I must go take another nap.  This afternoon it's porch painting time.

11 Comments:

Blogger Mage said...

If nothing else, this will give you a chance to finish the house and stage it. Thanks for your wonderful notes.

August 3, 2013 at 6:26 PM  
Blogger Rain Trueax said...

Good luck with it. I know the feeling as we've had deals we hoped to buy in past years and it seems it's so easy to have it not work out. I hope yours does. If not, then you do know what you want better now.

August 3, 2013 at 8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that feeling of needing a couple of days to recover after A Hard Day's Night, as the Beatles said/sang! Take your hour, as we say in Dublin. If you wear yourself out.... there will be no need for a new condo!

August 4, 2013 at 5:59 AM  
Blogger Celia said...

Mage - it will be so nice to finally have those bathrooms done, no matter what happens next.

Rain - this has really clarified my choices for me.

Hi Grannymar, you are so right, all I'll need is a box ;-)

August 4, 2013 at 11:47 AM  
Blogger Brig said...

I found things I meant to do, when we were getting ready to sell, getting done, finally.
Wishing you good fortune in your hunt for a new home, and the sell of your old one.

August 4, 2013 at 12:21 PM  
Blogger Optimistic Existentialist said...

Celia my friend! I sincerely hope it works out and does not fall through. I shall be sending many happy thoughts your way :)

August 5, 2013 at 5:56 AM  
Blogger Maggie May said...

Its a stressful time but you are doing very well. Hope it all goes to plan.
Granddaughter must have a really lovely voice. No wonder you are proud of her.
Maggie x

Nuts in May

August 7, 2013 at 12:06 PM  
Blogger Kathe W. said...

wow- you have made a lot of progress!
Good for you- and good luck with selling and buying! We did all what you are going through in fall of 2011. Transformed our old home and sold it in 2 days- amazing! Then had the arduous move of 350 miles-hopefully we never have to do THAT again! But we did rid ourselves of unneccesary stuff! And we're in a beautiful place now. Cheers!

August 8, 2013 at 8:41 AM  
Blogger Celia said...

Kathe, a least it won't be a 350 mile move, wow. It's been amazing the stuff I found in the house that has gone to charity or friends. There was a huge box of assorted candles still in the wrappers. I just use the battery run candles these days.

August 9, 2013 at 12:21 PM  
Blogger Kay Dennison said...

Sounds great!!!! I'm sure you'll have fun with it!

August 16, 2013 at 1:52 PM  
Blogger Sky said...

how fortunate are you to have a DIL who knows how to do all the things you need?! and, i am so jealous - i have NO skills by comparison! i would love to know how to do those things, but i am too old and too battered with various health issues to learn now. :( i know how much difference these details can make -such fun to have a deeply cleaned personal space with home improvements that make everything feel shiny and new. :)

August 25, 2013 at 8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home