My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Friday, September 13, 2013

Quiet Time

Wally World looking east into the hills.
 
We're still getting a few clouds but it's dry and quiet, no much wind.  There's a dusty haze that gets worse as the farmers burn their stubble fields.  It's quiet at my house too.  I've given up the search for a new abode for the months ahead and am continuing to work on the house.  There really isn't much on the market right now.  I think many are staying put waiting for the economy to improve.  The bathrooms are much nicer with their new cabinets, floors, and paint.  Right now I'm slowly working my way around the house washing and re-painting the woodwork.  I'm still donating, recycling, and selling stuff out of the house.  I wonder how I squeezed it all in.  I am going to bring my books back out of storage.  Even though I packed them well, I don't like the idea of them sitting in storage over the winter.


The Walla Walla Sweets Roller Girls are having their last go of the season on my eldest son's birthday in October.  He's a big fan so we are cooking up an evening of celebration with him at this event.  I used to watch the roller derby on television Portland, Oregon when I was about 11.  It's kind of fun to see it re-emerge here.  It's more benign than the stuff I saw as a kid, and I am happy with that and the grandgirls love it.

Fall is waiting in the wings.  School has started and I am doing an art class on Tuesdays with our homeschoolers.   We delved into oil pastels last week and I had as much fun as they did.  I used a short introductory video I found on u-tube and that was a hit, and then we dived in, no pencils, no erasers, just process, it went well.  The next day I got the pastels out and fooled around with them at home.  Very satisfying.  Next time I think I will start them on their own sketch books and get us outside to draw both for more pastels, and to collect "found" stuff for a collage project. 

My pulmonologist put me in a pulmonary rehab program at the gym in our hospital.  The fall I took last year really left me out of shape, with noodle muscles, and breathing impaired by further inactivity.  This provides among other things some discipline that I lack.  I used to walk every morning and this morning I went for a walk before breakfast for the first time in a year.  I was thrilled.  I love to walk, that's when I took most of my photos too which provided me with material for art.  I feel like I have a get out of jail free card.  Woo woo!

7 Comments:

Blogger Kathe W. said...

wonderful post Celia- you sound renewed with making art with the kids and walking! You go girl!
Keep up the good work and enjoy the positive changes you have made with your home and yourself! Happy Autumn!

September 13, 2013 at 12:17 PM  
Blogger Tabor said...

I used to watch roller derby many years ago. Now I think I would find it too painful to watch. I am sure that fall will bring healing. It always seems to once the hot days of summer move on.

September 13, 2013 at 12:21 PM  
Blogger Mage said...

I did too...then I over did it. Now I just pant my way through the day. You do sound grand, and yes, bring the books home into the light. :)

September 13, 2013 at 3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me Autumn brings routine and am more ready to work on larger projects. I love to introduce a craft to young fresh eyes, it gives me a whole new outlook on it. I am sure you feel the same way with Art. Enjoy.

September 14, 2013 at 9:38 AM  
Blogger Celia said...

grannymar - you're right, I love sharing art with kids, their enthusiasm is inspiring.

September 14, 2013 at 9:47 AM  
Blogger Rain Trueax said...

Good news, Celia. I tend to let myself get out of shape and then have to work harder to get back-- and without your reason. I just let it happen. The older I get, the harder it is to get it back. I dread when the slash starts being burned here as i am very sensitive to woodsmoke and just went through a bout of sinusitis. Do not need another

September 14, 2013 at 10:03 AM  
Blogger Brig said...

Your doing great, and that is a good thing!
I really need to get back to walking. My motivation is going thru a down swing, working on that.
Art is so important in so many ways. Good 4 you!

September 16, 2013 at 10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home