Blog Therapy for Moving
Lots of action here. I do live in a really great neighborhood. It's pretty with good neighbors. I was still surprised when several people showed up the first day the house was listed and one made an offer over the asking price because of the crowd at the door. My offer for my chosen new place was accepted and tomorrow and Monday the inspections will happen. My gut has been spinning ever since. I sign my notes to my sisters "Your Crazy Sister..."
Leo Cullum Cartoon
Processing this move previously in my own "special" way, I am certain it is time to leave the house, and I actually look forward to the new place. But, for whatever reason, a personal flaw, having to rely on others, or feeling physically not up to all the work, yada, yada, my sleep has become elusive. My eyes pop open at 1am and then 3am, and then I wake about 5:30am, early for me, but I give up and get up. Last night I couldn't lay back down and got up and made some herbal tea and began packing boxes. I packed five boxes and filled three large trash bags with things for charity, all the time wondering "where did all this crap come from?" So driven by anxiety and sleeplessness things are getting packed and I am compulsively cleaning, yes, ewhh, you could drink out of my toilet.
At 7:30am I called my DIL the angel on earth and said "Omigod, how am I going to do this?" She replied, "Did you forget, you're not, just pack, Dave (my son) and I are doing it and we have it all planned out. Quit worrying about it." And like a whoopee cushion someone has sat on all my stress leaked out into the ozone.
Then I sat down and thought, is it my age? My move from Seattle to Walla Walla, I sold my house without fuss, moved everything over here and stored it, bought a house from a distance, and left the final move to my sons while I left with a suitcase for Portland to go help care for my Dad who we thought was dying at the time. He didn't thankfully; he lived another five years in relatively good shape. I think most of the whole world has nerves buying a home or selling one, and moving. I remember following Ronni Bennett at Time Goes By when she sold her condo and moved from Portland, Maine to Portland, Oregon with her cat. I was amazed how she completed this great venture, selling, hunting for a home from a distance; I am just moving two miles away.
I'm getting a grip. I am planning meals; I've been forgetting to eat but I'm well enough padded I won't starve soon but I'm sure I could use the energy. Maybe then I can cut back the coffee which doesn't help the jitters. I've been doing some yoga for 15 minutes at a time today between boxes, and went for a short walk. I hope that causes the worm to turn for me. Meanwhile its lovely outside, sunny and cool, and the leaves are in blazing color. My camera is packed and stored so not much in the way of pictures right now. Back to the boxes.



12 Comments:
Oh, my, oh my. You are just like my friend Bobbie. Little sleep and forgetting to eat. There is a saying in AA that when you get like this, HALT. Don't let yourself get Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired. I've found from much experience that thinking is my worst enemy.
We really appreciate your honesty. I'm at a point where I should move too...but I'm not. As long as I can climb the stairs, I'll stay.
You can do it, girl. Bravo.
I remember HALT Mage, thanks for reminding me. I spent years in an ACOA group. Good tools.
Good luck with the move. It sounds to me like this is serendipity-- the time is right
Good luck with the packing and leave some boxes for your son & DIL to fill, or they will feel left out.
Enjoy the move to your new home.It is a wonderful opportunity for a new beginning.
I bet the yoga does help some. I've heard that it really helps internally. But I couldn't cut back on coffee - jitters or no :)
Make your list and do each thing as it comes along. Do not worry about the big picture. It is all the bits and pieces and you can only do them little by little. Things will go wrong, get lost or broken, or something will surprise you, but in the grand scheme it will be a wonderful adventure and we are waiting to read about it.
Congrats on your little blue heaven selling and the new condo. Exciting changes for you.
I'm moving as well, 75 mi N to live with my mother & father. They are needing more care and I need a place to live so there I go.
Hoping you & I both have great adventures ahead.
Brighid - good wishes to you with your move. Lots of family coming together these days. My plot is to talk my son into occupying the extra bedroom and bath in the new place while he is job hunting. He just got laid off. Save his rent money and help me while I am moving in. Seems like a win-win but you never know what the kid will think.
Tabor - you are so right about the bits and pieces, but in the main it is going better than I expected.
Thanks for the good wishes everyone.
Planning your life style is important. Yoga will help you good if you do it regularly. Eating healthy diet in correct time will also help your body.
Good Luck for your efforts.
Love your 'anxiety' graphic. Am copying it to use at some point. I almost never sleep, and it has become such a pattern over the past 15 years if not since my early childhood. We will each use our special way of dealing with crisis. I love your blue cottage too! Two of my three children live in blue cottages, (the third in yellow) I Know you will be fine, you have the heart and the tools and now I read you have a wonderful, angelic DIL and a son to help you move. Big big hug!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home