My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Waiting


I'm not good at waiting.  Hopefully today both house inspections will show up.  Is there a fatal flaw in one of these places?  Or simply just the normal wear of older homes?  I'm trying to keep busy, packing, packing, packing.  Keeps me from totally freaking out.   What I can carry myself and know I don't need right away I take to storage.  The heavier things my son takes to storage.  What if, what if?

My family moved at least 14 times by the time I graduated from high school.  Three school districts in the first grade.  All related to my Dad's job.  Sometimes he traveled for months and we stayed with my maternal grandmother.  We had to keep our belongings on light side.  Each move something I treasured as child was gone.  The third first grade stop was in Honolulu in 1949.  All our stuff was stuck for six months in storage on a dock during a longshoremen's strike.  Some of the furniture fell apart.  Much of our clothing, books, and toys molded and had to be thrown out.  Once in Oregon we stayed in the same place for four years, that was the only time I really had friends. I graduated from our 1-8th grade school and most of my friends went on to high school together. We moved to another city and I started as freshman knowing no one.  Repeat my Sophomore year and then again a new school my Junior year in Seattle when we stayed put.  I finally had friends by my senior year.

There are parallels, mourning losses, friends and familiarity.  I've love this house.  I lived in this neighborhood 13 years and the neighbors on either side of me are good neighbors.  My best friend lives around the corner.  I'll still see them but it is a loss.  I've watched their kids grow up.  The one to the south has three girls the ages of my younger granddaughters.  They all play together here at my house.  I will miss that.  Condo living doesn't nuture kids running through the yard.   On the other hand if the condo deal goes through there is a pool there, and grandkids are welcome.

It was dark when I got up and I went out on the deck and looked at the millions of stars in the sky.  Just beautiful.  I am trying to see this as an adventure but I was better at physical adventures than I am at emotional adventures.  Time to learn some new skills.  All our lives the changes never stop even if you ignore them.  Its no different as we age.  This move is necessary and hopefully it will mean I won't have to do this again at 80, God willing and the river don't rise. 

4 Comments:

Blogger Michele Bilyeu said...

Oh, Celia. I see your sign as it is the same as mine! Boy, are we going through transitions! Please know that my heart is with yours, and I am glad that having my own blog be all messed up right now (I had to 'move' back to my old blogspot from my custom domain or dot com. Now, feeds like google search can't find me to connect with me. So, you see I now 'live' at a dead end. But you found me, you left a comment, I came back to get caught up with you, here..and boy, am I glad that I did. A real 'sign'you see! We can do this, no matter what life throws at us.....again!!

October 29, 2013 at 9:03 AM  
Blogger Optimistic Existentialist said...

I do agree that moving is emotionally difficult and can be like a loss. We build memories in our homes and friendships with our neighbors and it's hard to leave those behind. But every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end. :)

October 30, 2013 at 5:28 AM  
Blogger Rain Trueax said...

good luck with the inspections. It sounds like you know you are doing the right thing; so look forward and the past for your cottage will be just lovely memories. The condo is the exciting future

October 30, 2013 at 8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No matter where you land, your important memories travel with you. FREE!

New beginnings can hold some surprising delights. Go with the flow and be happy.

October 30, 2013 at 9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home