My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving


Things I've been given.

I can't count the number of little hand turkeys I've received over the years.  First was one from my sister Susan who is 20 years younger than I, then from my little sons for several years, then nieces and nephews, and now grandchildren.  This is Thanksgiving for me, a shared meal with family, related or chosen, and carrying in heart and voice gratitude for much good in my life.  This year I am still grateful for the life I have.  It seems simple but so many do not have those necessities.  I've been stressed and done some complaining the last few weeks, and I thank you all for your supportive posts.  I pulled my head out of you-know-where and got a little Thanksgiving reality check.

We all have something to give.

The number of homeless individuals reported this year in my small town was 521 including 131 children under 5 and about 100 teens, nearly 45% are children.  The temperatures at night here last week averaged around 21°.  Where are these children, sad and scary. The high schools run a back pack program.  The packs are filled with food, high energy snacks, water, personal needs, and rain ponchos, mittens, hats and whatever they can cram in.  The kids return them to be refilled.   We are not unique by any means.  We give to Coats for kids (and shoes), and volunteer in social services groups that try to get placements and resources for the homeless and especially the children.  I like to give to the food bank and St. Vinnies.  We have been blessed with so much.  There is always something we can do for someone, especially a child.  The stores here have giving trees for foster kids and elders.  I picked a 13 year old foster kid.

Let's warm up someone's life this Thanksgiving.

My final say and off my soapbox.  I won't be shopping Thanksgiving Day; I never shop Black Friday either.  I liked this little article Don't Go Shopping on Thanksgiving.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...


"Happy Thanksgiving" to you Celia, and all your family.

November 27, 2013 at 2:02 AM  
Blogger Celia said...

I'm thankful...the house closed. Time to move on (pun intended).

November 27, 2013 at 7:49 AM  
Blogger Kathe W. said...

Bless you Celia for reminding us of what should be obvious- the idea of back packs for children is a wonderful one.
Have a happy family time- I know I will and that in its self is a blessing that a lot of people do not have.
and good on you for your house closing...whew! Big hugs to you across the mountains.

November 27, 2013 at 8:04 AM  
Blogger kenju said...

Thanks you, Celia, happy Thanksgiving to you too.

I will not be shopping on those days either. Our house closed recently - I know how good a feeling it is. Good luck with the move!

November 27, 2013 at 7:41 PM  
Blogger Peruby said...

My sister says she likes to shop on Black Friday because of all the excitement and she likes to watch the people. Not sure what a therapist would say about that. LOL!

I am with you. I will remain home warm and cozy nibbling on left overs and cuddling with my dogs/cats.

I think I did the Black Friday thing ONCE in my 53 years. I think I was just curious. They can have it.

November 28, 2013 at 5:07 AM  
Blogger Mage said...

We are going to share a meal with friends. What more could you want.

You among them...have a wonderful day.

November 28, 2013 at 8:58 AM  
Blogger Brig said...

Happy Happy Thanksgiving! your house closed... YeeHaw! Onward>>>>>woman>>>>>

November 28, 2013 at 7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home