My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Monday, December 16, 2013

Me and Charlie Brown

Took this with my cell phone.  The camera is not great.  It really looks better than this but the apartment is pretty spare right now.  No pictures up and not great light, and again the camera is not great either.  So much for the apologies.  Having said that, I wasn't going to put a tree up at all since I am basically in transit for the next month or so.  Then my eldest son went to my storage with me and we excavated one of my fake trees and some of the decorations.  Not the decorations I thought I had grabbed however but they'll do.  My lovely Nativity set is underneath it but I couldn't get a decent picture.  My "real" camera is stored at my youngest son's house. The angel on the top will be 50 years old soon.  My husband and I got her at Woolworth's (I think) the first Christmas we were married.  He was in still in college, and I was working, and we were broke.  I've kept her ever since.  She makes me smile every time I see her.  A couple of times I tried bringing home something fancier but nothing dislodges her from her place in my heart.  She's been with me through babies, toddlers, deaths, divorce, fun parties, and somehow her little cardboard and glittered self has hung together.

 
 
The angel rode the top of this tree below to the floor as it fell over my 7-month old second son while I was taking a photo of one of his attempts to crawl into it.  We were frantic when it fell, he was totally non-plussed.  The cats had a hissy fit though although I don't know if that was because the tree fell or they were insulted he was moving into their territory.  We moved it over by the window and guy-wired it to the drapery rods.  Two months later he was walking.  The angel saw it all.
 
 
In a couple of months the painting and flooring should be done in the condo and I will be living in my new place.  Next Christmas the angel will be in a more homey spot.  But this is where I live now and I've learned enough at 71 not to ruin things by wishing any of my life away just waiting for something else.  It was delightful to have my son help me put up the tree, I made chicken wraps for dinner and we talked.  We have family, friends and plans, and are safe and warm. 
 
Peace on earth good will to all.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the stories people tell about special tree ornaments. May your Christmas be healthy and peaceful!

December 16, 2013 at 3:19 PM  
Blogger Rain Trueax said...

pretty tree and good memories. We stopped putting up trees some years back due to allergies to the fir and not really wanting a fake one-- although you can't tell the difference from looks. This year I am in transit as we are heading to Arizona right after Christmas Day at our daughter's in Medford; so it's not really on my mind for any Christmas celebrating. I'll just be glad when we are over the Siskiyous and on the other side of potential travel problems.

December 16, 2013 at 6:18 PM  
Blogger Kathe W. said...

Safe and warm says it all !!! Best of wishes to you and your wonderful family- you are truly blessed.

December 16, 2013 at 7:17 PM  
Blogger Optimistic Existentialist said...

I think it's an absolutely beautiful tree Celia. I love it :) I hope you have the merriest of Christmases :)

December 17, 2013 at 5:05 AM  
Blogger Mage said...

And your presence in our lives makes it better.

December 17, 2013 at 9:48 AM  
Blogger Brig said...

Great Christmas memories, thanks for sharing. Glad to know you had a guy wired tree, too. Your angel is special, she has watched over your crew.
Peace be with you in your new Home.

December 17, 2013 at 10:19 PM  
Blogger Maggie May said...

Love that last picture with your second son!

I think those tinsel trees are fine especially where space is an issue like it is in our house.

Bet your angel could tell a tale or two. I still miss Woolworths.
Have a lovely Christmas.
Maggie x

Nuts in May

December 20, 2013 at 10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home