My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Thursday, December 26, 2013

New Year on the Horizon


Winter is officially here.  The snow in the foothills has disappeared again, but we are frosty and foggy in the mornings.  Doesn't encourage me to be the early bird and all the worms are hiding anyway.

Spent a long, lazy Christmas day at my son's home in front of their fire.  The grandkids love sitting there too so I could visit with them.  The tree was lovely, the presents were all appreciated, and there were many leftovers from the night before to nibble on all day.  Got to hold a 5-month baby while she took a nap.  What a delightful thing that is.  Youngest son played and sang at the 11:00PM service Christmas Eve, I am sorry to say I was home and sound asleep by then, wished I could have stayed awake but I am not much of a night owl anymore. 

Soon this year will be gone and I'm planning on literally sweeping the old year out the front door, my family tradition.  Unless I'm asleep. 

I read that in Japan people may dress in new clothing and rise early in the morning to greet the New Year's dawn.  Another tradition is the making of mochi/rice cakes for the family.  They also send New Year's postcards, I like that, Christmas cards escape me each year.  Then I saw that Mexico has a tradition of putting the old year's bad and sad events to paper and burning it before midnight to remove the negative from the new year. I like that too, and a local church has a "burning bowl" ceremony for pretty much the same thing.

How do you celebrate the New Year?

5 Comments:

Blogger Peruby said...

heh, heh. Sleeping.

December 27, 2013 at 3:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

have to admit, I no longer mark the new year, I am often in the land of dreams long before the clock strikes twelve.

Reading your list of ideas and customs, I might actually try one or two of them time round.

May 2014 be a healthy and peaceful year for you and yours.

December 28, 2013 at 11:26 AM  
Blogger Mage said...

I go to a marathon AA meeting and listen.

So glad you are here sleeping.

December 29, 2013 at 6:20 PM  
Blogger Brig said...

Once again I will celebrate by sending my troubles to GrannySue: http://grannysu.blogspot.com/
and she burns them in a big bonfire.

December 30, 2013 at 2:04 PM  
Blogger Maggie May said...

Well, I usually enjoy opening a fresh diary (you thought I was going to say a bottle, didn't you?) There's nothing like opening a new diary and starting a new page of a new year. Maybe opening a bottle too.
I always open the front door and let in the New Year at the turn of midnight!) My parents always did that.
Happy New Year.
Maggie x

Nuts in May

December 31, 2013 at 3:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home