My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Saturday, January 11, 2014


"A Favorable Wind" by Paul Bond

"Kites rise highest against the wind - not with it."  Winston Churchill

"The older you get the stronger the wind gets - and it's always in your face." Pablo Picasso

"If one does not know to which port one is sailing, no wind is favorable." Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Who is Lucius Annaeus Seneca I ask?  I had to look him up.  Known as Seneca the Younger, he was a statesman and philosopher c. 4 BC – AD 65.   I liked the quote.  Unfortunately for Lucius he was caught up in a plot to assassinate Nero and forced to commit suicide.

We are in the middle of a rainy wind storm.  It's still better here than anywhere else in the country I think.  After days of below 20°, its now over 60, rainy, and windy.  It's making me happier about leaving my house where I had to listen to tree branches bouncing off the roof during each big wind and spend a couple of days on yard cleanup and replacing roof shingles.  The lovely trees that shaded the house in the summer were a menace during winds and freezing rain.

I lost sight of my port last week as I drifted through flu recovery.  By yesterday my internal lights came back on and I made an appointment with the flooring people to come do an estimate to remove the bedrooms carpets in my new abode and replace it with wood or wood-like flooring.  It will help keep my dust mite induced asthma at bay and be easier to keep clean.  I'm back on track.  I won't move in until the floors are done.  They are giving me estimates for some gorgeous acacia wood flooring and for a sturdier (and cheaper) engineered wood and composite product.  The acacia actually has texture to it, lovely enough to hang on the wall but my sister helped me remember that I lose my footing often enough these days that it is probably an invitation to trip and fall and not at all practical.  There were many other attractive alternatives.

I got a Home Depot gift card for Christmas and will go trade it in for paint.  The smallest bedroom is a vibrant shade of pink.  It's kind of smothering, like being digested if you could see the color while inside something's gut.  I'm going for off white with a light grayed blue accent wall.

6 Comments:

Blogger Maggie May said...

I would have had to change that little bedroom too! Loved your description of being digested! Made me smile.
We've had some gales too but it is drizzling today.

USA has had really extreme weather and we've had storms and floods (Not us personally).
Will be glad to see the Spring.
Maggie x

Nuts in May

January 12, 2014 at 11:10 AM  
Blogger Optimistic Existentialist said...

This has been the oddest-weather-winter I've ever seen. 10 below zero one day and 60 degrees two days later here lol.

January 13, 2014 at 8:22 AM  
Blogger Mage said...

What? You don't like digestive pink? LOL We are all praying for rain down here. It's so dry, everything is cracking.

January 13, 2014 at 9:44 AM  
Blogger Brig said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better.
When Marymine redid her kitchen, she had a composite floor put in, and even the plumber thought it was real wood flooring.
We are so dry here, praying for rain.

January 13, 2014 at 10:02 AM  
Blogger Granny Sue said...

Enjoyed reading your thoughts, and the picture is perfect. I had blogger issues last week during our super cold weather but it seems to be working fine now.

January 17, 2014 at 11:12 AM  
Blogger Kathe W. said...

Oh this image is lovely! It sounds like you are having fun planning the changes to be made before you move in-wood floors are so lovely and much nicer and easier to care for than carpeting. Have a great week!

January 21, 2014 at 6:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home