My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Fresh Air

Our peculiar weather continues, it's been 28° to 30° day and night without much variation.  This morning again there was a light, very light, snow on the ground when we got up.  We being my Grandgirl Isabel who spent Friday night with me.  There's is also an inversion with all the air pollution warnings over Eastern Washington for asthmatics and others such as myself to stay inside.  But the falling of "frozen fog" and the light snows have taken the particulate matter and removed vile vapors here in Walla Walla the air has remained quite clean and fresh.  My vow not to complain about the weather has been rewarded.  My prayers go out for family in North Dakota them as well as those in the east whose weather is dangerous these days.

Snow at my old house.

The floors in the condo bedrooms will be finished Monday.  That means I "get" to start painting them and then put in the new baseboards.  The move is becoming more real to me as each day passes.  I am living among stacks of boxes since it made no sense to unpack and repack in a couple of months.  I suspect I will be living amongst boxes for quite awhile even after I move.  I also have come to realize how happy I am my son talked me into a smart phone.  I seem to be in transit between apartment, condo, and my kid's houses and I can be reached by phone and email with my handy little android.  At first the new to me technology seemed intimidating.  I kept telling myself I was retired programmer and non-retired gadget junkie, how hard could it be?  But I needed instruction, the upside is that my learning curve seems to be fine.


I just finished reading "The Ghost Bride" by Yangsze Choo.  It's a fantasy story set in old Colonial Malaya and a sharp contrast to "Franklin and Winston" that I just finished.  Li Lan's father has received a marriage offer from a rich and powerful family for her to become the bride of their recently deceased son and heir, a gesture designed to sooth a restless ghost who is haunting his mother and soon begins to haunt Li Lan.  I loved it.  I like this kind of stuff and  Li Lan the protagonist is not a shrinking violet.  It's a historical novel, ghost story, and murder mystery.  Ms. Choo's writing is beautifully alluring and filled my head with vivid pictures of old Malaya.  Lovely read under a warm blankie while the weather has its way with us.

7 Comments:

Blogger Maggie May said...

Well, I know now what book to look out for! Love a good book and it sounds very unusual.

Must be really exciting to get nearer to decorating the new home! Won't be long now.

We sound as though we are warmer here than you!
Roll on the Spring.
Maggie x

Nuts in May

January 26, 2014 at 10:20 AM  
Blogger Optimistic Existentialist said...

Can't wait to see the new place. Will you be posting pictures?

And I was finally talked into a smart phone two years ago, and no I couldn't do without!!

January 27, 2014 at 10:42 AM  
Blogger Celia said...

I will be post some pictures. I can't wait to be able to move into it.

January 27, 2014 at 11:01 AM  
Blogger Kathe W. said...

now I have two more "Must reads" on my list! Exciting to hear how you are fixing to make over your new home- that's the joy of moving...and smarty pants you to not bother unpacking!
I still have just a flip phone, but have only had a cell phone since we moved- I transported our old ( since 1978 ) phone number to our cell phone. Makes sense as no one has to remember our new number. Post pics as you go along in the remodeling projects... before and after pics are great! I actually made a snapfish book of our momentous move and remodeling from 2 years ago to present. Well worth the time spent! Cheers!

January 29, 2014 at 3:48 PM  
Blogger Mage said...

That book sounds great. I'm mid way through The Monuments Men and love it. Another friend just finished Empty Mansions...I'm making that my next read.

You sound great!

February 4, 2014 at 11:41 AM  
Blogger Cowtown Pattie said...

New digs and everything. Sorry I've been away from blogging, but plan to pick it back up. Facebook kidnapped me...LOL

February 4, 2014 at 2:47 PM  
Blogger Mage said...

Hey, happy Valentines Day to you.

February 14, 2014 at 7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home