Aging
Driving by Pioneer Park in Walla Walla on the way to the grandkid's house.
Got some things resolved yesterday and relaxed enough to fall asleep by 8:30 in the evening last night and got up late. It snowed again last night and its 29. What the heck? The weatherman sayeth it's the arctic vortex once more. Supposed to be 36 by afternoon but quite a surprise to me.
I got a good checkup from my pulmonologist. The asthma is under control and the coughing is some inflammation in my windpipe left over from the New Year's flu. I actually feel pretty good. I cancelled my cable TV, haven't been watching it lately and they just figured out a new way to charge everyone more. The basic cable that I had will no longer include the PBS channels or the one movie channel they had. Netflix I am yours. Beginning March 11, they have manipulated the signal so no TV set no matter how digital or HD ready it is can get a signal without one of their boxes which will be free and then later have to be rented, not one but one each if you have multiple sets, which I don't. I've been meaning to do this, they just gave me the extra push to complete it. I watch most things online or via Netflix anyway. Are you happy with your cable provider?
I saw this article in the online Oregonian yesterday. Tom Hallman a columnist for the paper is inviting readers to write in their stories on what aging means to them. I am debating with myself about doing that. What caught my eye was the approaching 60ish woman speaking of reaching the age that her mother died.
I'm getting within two years of the age my mother was when she died of complications from emphysema. I am trying to decide if that is meaningful to me. This morning I don't think so. Mom smoked like a coal factory all her life and didn't stop until 60 after being told she wouldn't live another 5 years unless she did. She died at 74 a far younger age than any other woman in our family. Meanwhile second hand smoke left all her daughters with asthma to a greater or lessor degree. But there are drugs now to treat it, when Mom was young and had asthma, there were no drugs for that except later adrenalin shots. So aging now at least means with Medicare, and newer medicines I will likely live longer and better shape than she did. I will have to think about what else it means to me.


8 Comments:
Lovely photo even though it is very cold and that is such bad stuff for asthma. Keep warm and safe.
Snow, cable companies - let's see.
Snow: glad we don't have any.
Cable: Comcast bundled phone, internet, TV. It costs a lot, but we do use all of it and every so often I call in to see if they can get my cost back down when it creeps up.
Aging - not fun, but so far, OK. I am only 69 so I have a ways to go before it becomes a real issue.
Looks pretty cold in the pic, but beautiful in it's way.
Good to hear your feeling better!
I didn't have TV for three years, and didn't miss it. Now that I'm caring for my parents in their house, there is TV, but I still don't watch.
Aging, is no fun in some ways, but great fun in others. Keeping my thoughts to myself has become a bit dicey...
I am glad you had a good visit with your pulmonologist Celia. I am somewhat happy with my cable provider but I am thinking of switching to straight Netflix only.
Dropped my cable TV two years ago. I miss only the Olympics and the super bowl. Some funny commercials that others talk about, but I can catch up on youtube.
Do you mean that the cable companies are finding a way to stop the basic signal to cable-ready tv's in March.
That is how I watched the super bowl. I have a cable-ready tv and can still get about three channels.
Snow - huh. Nothing to say that has not already been said about this winter.
Peruby - you can still pick up a few channels here on a digital/HD TV with an antenna if your home is situated with no interference. Our town is small and remote and in a valley. Many cannot get anything over the old fashioned airways with or without an antenna. The cable company is scrambling their signal so you need to rent their box along with their service no matter how cable ready your TV is. It seems a scam for more $ to me.
Nope, we aren't really happy, but Netflix doesn't offer local news first thing before dawn on six channels. LOL Yes, charging more, yes, getting less, but not yet charging for the box.
Aging to me means more meds. The inhaler for my asthma isn't made any more, and the new one is 135.00. Gee.
my mother died at 65 and until I passed that age I wasn't sure how long I would live- nw I know I'll be in my 90's ...
as for cable- we have direct tv and we like it. But we also have netflix-just dvd's...cannot get streaming with our internet connections. I do love PBS!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home