I went to see "Monuments Men" with my eldest son. I loved it and I don't understand why it got such poor reviews, 34% on the Tomatometer for instance. But then my opinions and the reviewers are often at odds. Found this little article in the online
Smithsonian about the real people who tackled this huge task. Then I sallied forth and ordered myself a copy of Robert Edsel's book "
The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves, and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History." One of the opening scenes in the film shows the citizens of Bruges are frantically shoring up the last remaining cathedral wall carrying DaVinci's "Last Supper" mural after the cathedral was took a bomb. It brought me to tears. So did the scenes about the theft of the Ghent Alterpiece. Art has always been one of my loves, and was my major in school. I was going to write something pithy about civilization and art but I seem to have no pithiness.
I did get on with my annual long distance tracking of the Iditarod. Dallas Seavey won with an amazing push at the end breaking the Iditarod speed record; Aily Zirkle, my pick came in second with a super run as well. I read that the lack of snow actually contributed to the speed as ice is easier to travel over than snow, news to me. Caused some accidents though.
My internet goes off today as the move begins. Back sometime next week. In between will be just more back and forth, back and forth. Then Saturday sleeping in my own bed in my new home. See you when I can.
6 Comments:
I agree about the movie. We loved it, and some of it was so tragic, you couldn't help but weep.
Congrats on your new place !!
I really liked that movie as well. If not for the records kept... who knows how much would have never been found.
Good luck with the move, and enjoy your new Home.
I still want to see this movie. I am often at odds with the reviewers as well. I have loved many movies that the reviewers loathed, and vice versa!
Just make sure you hand carry your pillow and a clean set of sheets with you on your last trip into the condo. :) Your pillow too. We are looking forward to seeing you settled in. Hugs.
Haven't seen that film.... not seen it advertised over here yet either.
Hope the move goes well and internet switch over is smooth too.
Maggie x
Nuts in May
I see almost no movies at least not in theaters. Clooney usually does a good job though. Hope your move went smoothly and look forward to when you have photos of your new place :)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home