Nothing but brains in there!
By Heng Swee Lim, a Kuala Lampur, Malaysia-based illustrator.
My first week in my new home has been a busy one. I am very happy to be here and I like it. But, I still have to go pick up a few things and clean the kitchen in the benighted apartment. I am dreading it. Now that I don't live there any longer I can say I really disliked it. Four months of saying to myself "it's OK, it's only temporary." I spent as much time out of it I possibly could. Act in haste, repent in leisure. I had to move out of my house swiftly and I chose poorly. It had bad juju if you believe in that sort of thing, and I do. Wednesday is the day for cutting the last strings.
Sunday afternoon my back got wonky and my legs got prickly and numb. (You know you are getting old when your back goes out more than you do.) I went to Urgent Care hoping they could help, oops, "facial numbness" the nurse said and they sent me across the street to ER. It's my back I said to the handsome young doctor. He said, "Your back can't make your face numb, we need to check your head out." Duh, why didn't I think of that? It turned out OK. Blood tests and a CT scan and it was not a stroke, or tumor, or anything photogenic. Turns out I'm not the pond of tranquility I always thought I was. I'm a little stressed, very stressed. Young doctor came back smiling and he said "There is nothing but brains in there." Ha, he said I have brains, and now I have a picture to prove it. OK, I am a lot stressed and was having a major anxiety spell. Now, I'm supposed to walk everyday and I'm signing up for a meditation class at the community college. Om, everyone.


11 Comments:
I get anxiety attacks and often for no reason at all. I can relate to what you went through and moving is a major life stress for sure.
Walking helps me de-stress. I hope it works for you. And everything will be better when you can finally be finished with that old apartment.
"Act in haste, repent in leisure" - I like that quote! I'm glad the tests came back OK Celia and that there are nothing but brains in there :)
Do all that before you clean up the old place. Or, even if you are broke, hire Merry Maids to do the work. It wold be worth it. I sure do understand. I so hope you like the new place.
That's a scary thing to happen! It sounds like time to slow down a little, just when you can hardly do it. Take care, Celia--tea and some porch time might be the cure you need :)
I've heard of paint fumes causing facial numbness. Are you still painting? Is the room/house properly ventilated?
Peruby - the painting was finished the week before I moved in, but that thought crossed my mind too. Fortunately the weather has cooperated so the windows are open.
Mage - took your suggestion. Paying the older grands to do it.
Thanks for the support everyone - I am taking it easier. Re-learning that everything doesn't have to be done at once.
We try so hard to do it all, and be super woman. Sometimes you just have to let it go. Hope all that anxiety is behind you now!
Life can bring on the stresses and then it attacks our body. Blah. Hope you can relax and take it a bit easier but I know that is hard to do. I can say these things now that I am retired and life is much less stressful. I see friends and acquaintances and they tell me how wonderful I look. Well sure, I'm no longer trying to to wrangle 100 teenagers every day.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home