My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Saturday, March 8, 2014

The old gray mare. (Photo credit Wikipedia)

Chris and I got together yesterday and moved a ton of stuff into the condo.  I carried small packages, clothing, and prints and paintings.  He carried the boxes and small pieces of furniture.  It's the kind of stuff you worry about sliding around in a moving van.  I moved those oddities like my large stoneware pizza pan and my giant mixing bowl that I formerly whipped up 8 loaves of bread at time.  Very formerly, like 35 years ago.  I still use the pizza stone, I have a great but simple dough recipe I got when my 40+ sons made it for a grade school project.  I love making a nice thin crust and putting just the right (for me) fresh veggies and my favorite cheese on it.  Tomatoes, no tomato sauce.  Maybe I should have moved the bread bowl on to somewhere else.  At some point it gets hard to give up more "things." I may have to wait a bit and then scrape the next layer off for re-use. Fortunately my condo comes with its own 12'x12' storage space until I am ready for that.

After two days of good work my knees are making that disturbing grinding sound they like to make after repeated trips up and down stairs (to storage) and my feet hurt!? Dang. I'm tired!  I went to bed at 9 PM, two hours early for me, then I woke up at 5:30 AM.  Since daylight savings time is looming Sunday, I decided to just get up and go with it.  I will just do light stuff today and skip the stairs to storage for a bit.

I've met several people already at my new home.  They've introduced themselves, offered help, showed me where they live, and continue to greet me.  It's mostly an older population though not age restricted, 45 and up I'd guess, and several single women near my own age or older.  It has promise.


This is not my building but one near it.  The lower left hand unit is identical to mine with patio doors opening out to a completely fenced area.  The woman who sold her unit to me gave me her lovely patio table with four chairs.  I plan to sit there on the good weather mornings and drink my coffee.


I just realized my younger sister is 70 today.  Happy birthday Grace.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mage said...

It does look promising indeed. Charming too. I hope the sunshine reaches your new table and chairs. Yes, keep the bowl. It's full of wonderful stories.

March 8, 2014 at 6:26 PM  
Blogger Brig said...

Oh it sounds like it's going to be a wonderful place, with friendly neighbors to boot. I agree with Mage about the bread bowl. Always in awe of those that can make bread! All I make are brick replacements...

March 8, 2014 at 9:01 PM  
Blogger Optimistic Existentialist said...

So awesome that you are already meeting kind and friendly people. I hope your knees feel better soon. And now you've got me craving pizza :)

March 9, 2014 at 9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home