Peace, Hope, and Love
In the past I often went to outdoor sunrise services. Outside is my favorite place. Until our pastor died they were out in his pasture with a cross raised on a small hillock. There was coffee and baked goodies in the machine shed and we would gather with cups in hand to watch the dark disappear. Now another farmer has stepped up keep up the tradition.
A couple of times in my childhood the service was in a car held in a drive-in theater. There was Mass with one of my grandmothers and services in a grange hall with a traveling preacher when we lived in the country during my later grade school years. Many were more traditional inside the church from a pew.
One Easter in 1978 I found myself at home from the hospital after a near fatal asthma attack. I could see how precious my children were and everything I saw, especially colors seemed astounding and new. I felt I had been brought back from the dead. I wish I could say I was a new woman from then on but sounder living came to me grudgingly. I'm a slow learner. Even so it made a permanent change in my thinking, and eventually in my actions, I can't remember the author but one of my favorite quotes is " O God of second chances and new beginnings, here I am again."
So many Easter egg hunts in over 70 years and many Easter dinners with my grandmothers, or aunts, or friends of the family. Kids everywhere. No TV, so we were played outside. How many eggs were dyed? One year my kids and I dyed them the eggs with berries, beet peelings, and the like. They were surprisingly beautiful. Today I'll be inside, in the pew. There is a wooden cross up on altar and before the service the kids and adults go up and totally cover it with flowers. Beautiful. This will be the 14th one at this little country Presbyterian church with my kids, and now grandkids. Making more memories.


1 Comments:
Sending you belated Easter Greetings. I hope your day was wonderful!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home