Happy May Day
The streets and walks here are covered with blossom "snow." These beauties are from the tree in front of my bedroom windows. There is a magnolia tree also but it has completely dropped its petals already.
The sun is out, I have the patio doors wide open even though its only 60° at the moment. The morning sun lights my little patio in the mornings and it feels warmer. It's supposed to be 82° today!
Today is May Day. While posting on Rainy Day Thoughts I remembered Mom helping us make little construction paper baskets. My sister Nancy and I (there were only two of us then) would fill them with whatever flowers we could find. Anything from lilacs to dandelions. Then we'd go hang them on the neighbor's door knobs, knock, and run away. We were probably 3 and 5 then. When I was 7 my family moved to Honolulu for two years. May Day is Lei Day in Hawai'i! At that time, 1947, the byways and alleys were crowded with marvelous flowers, plumaria, hibiscus, koali 'awa - Hawaiian moonflower that grew in the sand on the beach, and the Kahili Ginger. Our school put on a play and a festival. It has grown into quite an event in the intervening years.
Before I moved out of my house my neighbors' three little girls would leave posies on my front porch. I think I will go over there and leave them some today. They really are sweethearts, the whole family. Great-grandma's sister I think. She's the last of her generation since Esther died last September. I bet you could think of someone who'd enjoy a tiny flower bunch or pot too.


6 Comments:
How lovely. I remember doing this a few years. We had lots of flowers, and I was frightened to do this then. Today I remember the baskets, grass, and flowers with great fondness.
What a fun gesture. I have never done this. I guess May 1 came and went while I was weeding in the garden!
Happy May Day Celia! I cannot believe it's May already. Everything has finally started blooming here in KY. It took a little longer than usual but better late than never, right?
beautiful photo and one of my friends said their neighborhood kids still do that-- take a little flower arrangement to the neighbors.
what a wonderful tradition! My niece came to visit overnight and brought me a lovely pot of blooming calla lilies...Happy May Day to you!
Oh sweet memories of my Grandma's May Day rounds. Like many grandmas of her day, in her seventies she made a point of calling on the "old people" with cakes and "posies". I tagged along and watched love in motion.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home