Road Trip
My faithful mini-van is visiting my faithful mechanic this week and again next week when the parts arrive. Selling my house and moving twice left maintenance at the end of the to-do list. I have a little get away planned with my sister and her family in July and we are going to meet in east central Oregon.
The van is a comfy, safe ride for myself and assorted combos of grand-kids. She got a thorough inspection, many juices replaced, the front brakes done, a soon a new timing belt and some other overdue maintenance. I'm good about oil changes and topping off fluids but sometimes us older models need a little more.
Yesterday while driving about on errands the temperature gage went as high as it could go and steam poured out from under the hood. A small hose on top of the engine had burst. My van had the good grace to wait to do this until I was in a nice place with parking in the shade. It's in the 80's this week. I called the garage for help and texted my son to b---h. Both son and Brendan the mechanic showed up. The Brendan came in his own car with gallons of water and we nursed the little van back to the garage. My son went on his errands and Brendan gave me a ride home. I am so happy this didn't happen out on the highway or worse yet on my way to meet my sister. I made brownies this morning to take to Brendan and company when I go to get my van later today.
This is the Baker City Tower, in surprise, Baker City Oregon. This was taken out our motel window on another road trip. It is supposed to be haunted. The previous night we could see someone looking out the top floor windows (we carry binoculars) and we liked thinking the ghost had given us a view. More interesting than thinking someone is up there cleaning the floors or whatever.
This is the Baker City Tower close up. It was built in 1929 and is the tallest building in Eastern Oregon. This lovely Art Deco building is on the National Register of Historic Places. We also visited Oregon Trail Interpretive Center just east of the city, a remarkable record of the Oregon Trail travelers. It's also close enough to visit Sumpter something of a gold rush ghost town. The Sumpter Valley State Dredge Park is just west of here. It's quite a sight, the piles of dredging are along the highway for miles and not much is growing on them either today after over 100 years.
Labels: haunted buildings, road trip



8 Comments:
Thanks so much for the note today. Glad your van found an easy parking spot. I try so to stay on top of the parts the truck needs. The truck handle was brand new...and expensive, but now I think I have a new mechanic. Progress. Have a safe trip and I'd like to see the tailings. Thanks.
Great photo of a beautiful building. I love Art Deco.
Glad you are getting good service for the van.
Been thru Baker City once and it was a fast trip so I missed this. Thanks for putting it out there. Wonderful old building. I love the High Desert Museum in Bend.
Great photos. I like Baker City. My grandfather was born there. My great grandfather died there. I went there a few years back to find his grave as he and his wife had been divorced; so it was a broken family long before that sort of thing was common. I did a blog about it and got an email from someone who lived there, whose family had known my great grandfather. Kind of fun and I might someday go back and spend time in their museum. I have one old photo of him as he tended a store that sold cigars and chocolates. he died pretty young of a stroke. It's very very pretty country. We might be back there this summer later as we decided to do Oregon or Idaho instead of going farther to Yellowstone this year-- mostly so we can bring the cats ;)
So lucky on your car problems and so glad that they can be fixed and you can get parts and all. Sometimes it is days. Never have seen Baker city, but maybe someday, now that I know it has a haunted building.
The Baker City Tower is beautiful Celia. And I am also very glad that your van didn't break down on the highway. So sweet of you to make brownies for them :-)
Have a great weekend!!!
Lovely to see pictures of a place that I've never been to or am not likely to go to.
Looks a lovely place. Everything seems very clean.
Maggie x
Nuts in May
I'm so happy you had Brendan and your son there to help right away. The town is beautiful! And I'm craving brownies now ;)
Have a wonderful weekend!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home