My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Sunrise, Sunset

I thought the clock said 5am.  I got up and packed my stuff so I could leave Portland early and get home before the heat made it into the 100's in Eastern Washington.  Had my apple and yogurt to eat on the way.  Put my glasses on and "surprise" I had actually gotten up at 4am.  I was on my way before 5 o'clock.  The traffic was teensey.  The sunrise behind Mt. Hood was spectacular.  I was past Troutdale ahead of the morning rush.  I had time for breakfast in the Dalles, two eggs over easy and bacon.  Hit a small windy dust storm on I-84 right about where the "dust for 40 miles" sign was.  That was the only time I rolled the windows up.

Driving into the Walla Walla Valley around 10am I could see our home turf was socked in tight by smoke and dust, sigh.  The compensating feature is the gorgeous sunsets all that particulate creates.  It got to 108 degrees in places yesterday.  It was my turn to bring the meat to the family dinner so I got several roast chickens at the grocery and chilled and cut them up.  No ovens for me this week.


I was in Portland several days with my youngest sister.  A fellow visiting from Europe driving a rental car blew through a stop sign at about 50 mph crashed with her and her two teenagers.  She had put her arm up just as the air bag deployed and it knocked her hand into her mouth and rearranged her teeth.

The car is totaled.  They spent the night in ER but went home around 4am.  She and her daughter have "mild' concussions but all considered it could have been much worse.  She thinks her car, a newer Honda Civic, saved their lives and probably much worse injuries.  Because of this I am happy to give them a plug.  The other driver was ticketed.  It was his fault.  All the paperwork, and calling.  We were wondering how people who actually end up in the hospital cope with all that?  God help them.

I took her to the orthodontist  and her doctor.  Mostly I spent time with her.  Her hand looks like an old boxing glove and has her teeth marks in it but it should be fine.  Again, I'm grateful.  Then the last day we rented her a car.  They were out of four-door sedans so they gave her a Chrysler Town and Country mini-van.  She said she didn't think she would want a mini-van but that it was so large she felt very safer in it.

8 Comments:

Blogger Brig said...

Good Grief, I glad to hear that they are going to be OK. That must have been a horrible experience for them. Good that you could be there to help and comfort.
Very hot here as well, with a hot wind, and smoke from a distant fire...

July 30, 2014 at 9:53 PM  
Blogger Peruby said...

Those Civics are great. I hope a speedy recovery for all and smoother sailing in the future.

July 31, 2014 at 4:00 AM  
Blogger Optimistic Existentialist said...

Thank god she is ok! You're right, it could have been much worse. Whenever these things happen they really put things in perspective...

July 31, 2014 at 4:29 AM  
Blogger Celia said...

Thanks Keith, it really does give you a new view about what's important.

July 31, 2014 at 7:10 AM  
Blogger Celia said...

Brighid - Sure makes me wish I lived closer but it was good being there with her.

July 31, 2014 at 7:14 AM  
Blogger Rain Trueax said...

wow, that is scary. Glad they are okay. Driving definitely has its risks.

The smoke in the air would be bad for me as I have become super sensitized to it allergically speaking. It makes for bad sinuses. I hope it gets better for you soon

July 31, 2014 at 4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harrowing tale. Traffic scares me much more than it once did. I hope my little Toyota would hold up as well as her Honda did. Too scary.

August 2, 2014 at 8:31 AM  
Blogger Mage said...

I'm a bit nicked, but my bad knee is marginal now. All I can do is laugh about it. :)

August 6, 2014 at 7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home