My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Saturday, August 2, 2014









This weekend is the annual Walla Walla Peach Basket Classic, one of the Northwest's 3 on 3 basketball tournaments.  It's around 100 degrees here most of the time lately so the powers that be have lots of water available and set up misters along Main Street to cool the players and the audience.  It started this morning with the first grade teams and will work its way up to the older teams.  This is 21st annual tourney.  Downtown is shut off to traffic making a nice long, pedestrian friendly avenue.


My sister Susan is recovering from the accident when another driver ran a stop sign.  She has her "for real" braces on now to get her teeth moved back where they belong.  She teaches fourth grade and was speculating how the kids would respond to their teacher in braces like her students.  Simpatico.  We thought she'd get color on them and all had suggestions about that but they are clear colored. Oh well, I voted for aqua, but, not my mouth.

And...hooray, my eldest son started work yesterday after many discouraging months of job hunting.  Full time, 8 to 5, and he can walk to work, no commute, or gas expense!  His last position involved a 100 mile round trip commute, working until 10pm and sadly one night a collision in the dark when a deer actually jumped on the hood of his car and totaled it.  Life in the outback. He's happy, we are all happy!

9 Comments:

Blogger Mage said...

What wonderful news about your son. Basketball in 100 degree heat. I am so sorry. Great entry tho....I would have had red or blue things on my braces too.

I am really encouraged by your note today. Thanks.

August 2, 2014 at 11:24 AM  
Blogger Maggie May said...

Glad to hear about your son's job.

100 degrees is a bit too much. (a lot too much!!!!!)

Sorry to hear about your sister's accident. I think I'd have gone for clear too but over here I don't think there's an option. Its only ever clear!
Maggie x

Nuts in May

August 3, 2014 at 8:15 AM  
Blogger Kathe W. said...

oh what good news about your son- and no commuting is even better! Yay!Have a great weekend!

August 3, 2014 at 9:27 AM  
Blogger Linda Kay said...

Back in Peoria, IL, there are those 3 team basketball tournaments and they really draw the crowds. Sounds like you have lots to be grateful for on this Sunday! Very positive post.

August 3, 2014 at 12:05 PM  
Blogger Brig said...

Wonderful when the community comes together for something like that.
Congrats to the son. Sounds like a wonderful opportunity, and that has to make mom feel good too!

August 3, 2014 at 9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your son's drive reminded me of the harrowing experiences my daughter has had driving home from work after dark in her rural area.

August 5, 2014 at 8:22 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Such wonderful news, Celia! It's hard to watch our children struggle (my son-in-law has been out of work for months). But so glad that he can walk to work. What a well-deserved luxury!

Sorry to hear about your sister's accident. But glad she's on the mend.
Hugs

September 2, 2014 at 5:55 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Oh, I just realized that it's not Celia's Blue Cottage anymore - looks like I've been away too long. LOL.

September 2, 2014 at 5:56 PM  
Blogger Mage said...

I miss you. Are you ok?

September 5, 2014 at 8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home