My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Thursday, September 18, 2014

A little rain please!

The weather is cooling down but no rain.  Daughter-in-law's father heard sirens a couple of nights ago and got up to see the brushy hillside above his house on fire.  A neighbor's illegal (we are under a 100% outdoor fire ban) burn pile got away from him.  Our firefighters were out in the dark along with several other communities fire departments in a steep gully of ponderosa pines and brush working to put it out.  It burned about 200 acres but they had it out by morning.  Many of these people are volunteers especially from our smaller rural communities. Their dedication is just heart stopping to me.  I am so grateful for their work and commitment.  They've had a helluva year this year, many fires moving into communities and burning homes.

 
Copyright 2003 Randy Glasbergen

That's not what my doctor said but I'm in one of those move it or lose it places again.  I had my first PT appointment today for my hip.  I've got the best physical therapist ever, Mike Clark.  His kids are about the age of my grandkids and my daughter-in-law is their dental hygienist.  Small town interconnections.  Did some stretching of the hips lying on my back, not much play in there, stiff as a board.  He thinks, if I follow directions, I can get back into the gym.  I'm feeling optimistic.  I have exercises to do twice a day and I'm sore already and getting the heat packs out.  I moved to this condo so I could walk to most places I go and this hip business is keeping me from it.  Plus if it's successful that means no hip surgery. Onward.

Soccer season is on with the grandgirls.  Only four this year, and miracle of miracles, three of them are on the same team, half the practices and games to get to from previous years.  I park my fanny in my chair and cheer them on.  They are winning, and while the theme is "winning isn't everything" they have a lot more enthusiasm for...winning of course.  The team of 8-year-olds doesn't keep score but they all know what it is anyway.  My son coaches the eights, the 3rd year I believe, and he said it was amazing to watch how the girls changed over that time, this year they actually listen to what he tells them.  He is a big, loud guy with a persistently gentle approach and it really seems to work,  Plus at eight their thinkers are beginning to organize and reasoning is kicking in.

And, I'm watching the Scottish vote for independence today.  My paternal grandfather, a Scottish immigrant in who arriving in the USA in the early 1900's with his elder brother, were descendants from Highlanders who were a Sept of the Clan Ross.  I can't say what is the correct vote for Scotland. But I hope they get what is best for them.  The Ross clan has a centuries long history of warring with the British.  Clan Ross, short history. I know there were/are some strong, long held family feelings on both the Irish and Scottish sides of our family about British occupation over the centuries, and how much more so must it be for those still living there.

9 Comments:

Blogger Mage said...

Wonderful that he thinks he can get you back to the gym and walking in the hood. :) Sounds like you are doing really well tho doggedly. Me too. I have to have surgery on my hand but not on my shoulders if I can help it. PT here too.

September 18, 2014 at 2:51 PM  
Blogger Celia said...

Mage, in the gym on the recumbent, no more treadmill. ;-) And hopefully some weights to strengthen the bones and muscles in my hips. And then the iron man, wait, no, then leg lifts using my iron. Ha, ha, ha.

September 18, 2014 at 5:10 PM  
Blogger Linda Kay said...

The Scottish vote has been on the minds of many, and we in the US understand the need to be free, for sure. Hang in there! If you keep at it, you'll get to the gym again.

September 18, 2014 at 6:59 PM  
Blogger Brig said...

Volunteer fire departments are life savers in so many ways for rural communities. God Bless Them.
I miss not being able to go to grands games. Hopefully I will be able to again in the future.
Glad to hear you are in the hands of a good PT person, and that you will not need the surgery.

September 18, 2014 at 11:04 PM  
Blogger Rain Trueax said...

good on the therapist and hip. We are looking eagerly toward possible heavy rains tomorrow which will end our fire risk for awhile down here. On Scotland, I hope they made the right choice. There was a lot of fear talk to scare them from going for independence. I can imagine what the media would've made of the Colonies own desire for it ;)

September 22, 2014 at 10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exercise...weight watchers counts housework. So I get one hour a day!

Saying that, I could not get out this am to the gym, and that's ok.

September 22, 2014 at 1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I left a comment but don't see. It. This is a test!

September 22, 2014 at 1:27 PM  
Blogger Celia said...

Sorry I have been remiss reading comments today. Been out doing errands most of the day.

It rained here for about an hour, a lot of lightning, hope there's more rain and not more fire. It was very dry and hot here again today until the cloudburst.

September 22, 2014 at 7:53 PM  
Blogger Optimistic Existentialist said...

The selflessness of volunteer firefighters always amazes me. Putting their life on the line each and every day. So glad that you will be able to go back to the gym soon!

September 24, 2014 at 8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home