Here's the deal
The mother of eight of my 10 grand-kids likes to look at the current culprit of some heinous deed and say with frustration "What's your deal?" The kids range from 2 to 17 and every three months or so one of them seems to have morphed into a new version; change is rampant.
Four of them, 8 to 13, remind me that I have morphed into "old" and some of the more vocal are worry-warting out loud that I'll die on them as their great-grandma did a year ago. Except for great-grandma's sister who is 91, I am, at 72, the oldest one in all directions. How did that happen? At least the toddlers don't know and don't care, although I can no longer pick either one of them up. I tell them I'm not worried, I hope they won't, and that my side of the family was full of asthmatic, arthritic women some of whom made it to over 100, and on their feet. That's true. Sadly my own asthmatic mother managed to smoke herself into emphysema and died, angry at herself, at 74. When I think of her she is up at four in the morning, sitting in the dark smoking and drinking coffee. She said that was the only way she could get any time to herself. I am not my mother, okay, some ways I am but not that particular way. But I will probably breath a sigh of relief when I pass my 74th birthday. But we can make some choices. I don't want to be pissed off at myself at the end whenever that comes. I'm trying to make my own deal.
I need to get moving. I'm starting physical therapy for my arthritic hips. And no, I don't want to go. My feet are in the same condition so I'm off tomorrow to find the recommended supportive shoes, read either homely or expensive or both. I have refused to deal with this over the last year and now I am physically out of shape from not walking because of these hips and feet. If I don't get myself moving I may seize up over the winter like some derelict trawler left tied up and neglected in the weather too long.
So I have:
1) Went in for the long overdue physical hence the physical therapy.
2) Made an appointment for new glasses to eliminate the other reason I fall off my feet.
3) Going to the audiologist because my hearing may be going, and vanity aside, it's hard to be social if you can't understand half of what anyone is saying. And my family is LOUD.
4) Admitted I can no longer wear shoes that may damage my feet and worse yet cause me to fall. I gave away most of my lovely high heels. I kept a pair that I used to go dancing in. Makes me feel good to look at them now and then.
5)Admitted I was depressed and went to see a counselor because I was staying home napping, hoping the boxes to unpack themselves or maybe hoping someone would steal them. How so you spell depression? We did some grief work about losses, moving, aging, kids leaving, deaths. Not everyones' bag but it worked for me.
6) Realized I could live to be 90, eek, and what do I want to be when I grow up, again.
7) Got out my easel, pencils, and paints. Started drawing.
8) Joined back up with Audubon, I belonged since I was in the 4th grade and when I got divorced (again) I dropped it along with several other things I enjoyed. A pattern had formed. I like the walking outside, the other birders, and drawing the birds and plants.
And very cool, my eldest son Chris and I are going to see Neil DeGrasse Tyson at Cordiner Hall on the Whitman College campus here. Some great things and people show up in Walla Walla because of the colleges here.
Four of them, 8 to 13, remind me that I have morphed into "old" and some of the more vocal are worry-warting out loud that I'll die on them as their great-grandma did a year ago. Except for great-grandma's sister who is 91, I am, at 72, the oldest one in all directions. How did that happen? At least the toddlers don't know and don't care, although I can no longer pick either one of them up. I tell them I'm not worried, I hope they won't, and that my side of the family was full of asthmatic, arthritic women some of whom made it to over 100, and on their feet. That's true. Sadly my own asthmatic mother managed to smoke herself into emphysema and died, angry at herself, at 74. When I think of her she is up at four in the morning, sitting in the dark smoking and drinking coffee. She said that was the only way she could get any time to herself. I am not my mother, okay, some ways I am but not that particular way. But I will probably breath a sigh of relief when I pass my 74th birthday. But we can make some choices. I don't want to be pissed off at myself at the end whenever that comes. I'm trying to make my own deal.
I need to get moving. I'm starting physical therapy for my arthritic hips. And no, I don't want to go. My feet are in the same condition so I'm off tomorrow to find the recommended supportive shoes, read either homely or expensive or both. I have refused to deal with this over the last year and now I am physically out of shape from not walking because of these hips and feet. If I don't get myself moving I may seize up over the winter like some derelict trawler left tied up and neglected in the weather too long.
So I have:
1) Went in for the long overdue physical hence the physical therapy.
2) Made an appointment for new glasses to eliminate the other reason I fall off my feet.
3) Going to the audiologist because my hearing may be going, and vanity aside, it's hard to be social if you can't understand half of what anyone is saying. And my family is LOUD.
4) Admitted I can no longer wear shoes that may damage my feet and worse yet cause me to fall. I gave away most of my lovely high heels. I kept a pair that I used to go dancing in. Makes me feel good to look at them now and then.
5)Admitted I was depressed and went to see a counselor because I was staying home napping, hoping the boxes to unpack themselves or maybe hoping someone would steal them. How so you spell depression? We did some grief work about losses, moving, aging, kids leaving, deaths. Not everyones' bag but it worked for me.
6) Realized I could live to be 90, eek, and what do I want to be when I grow up, again.
7) Got out my easel, pencils, and paints. Started drawing.
8) Joined back up with Audubon, I belonged since I was in the 4th grade and when I got divorced (again) I dropped it along with several other things I enjoyed. A pattern had formed. I like the walking outside, the other birders, and drawing the birds and plants.
And very cool, my eldest son Chris and I are going to see Neil DeGrasse Tyson at Cordiner Hall on the Whitman College campus here. Some great things and people show up in Walla Walla because of the colleges here.


12 Comments:
Hi Celia! I would love to also join up with Audubon. I had all of the Audubon books when I was younger. I hope the physical therapy helps some. I'm sending positive vibes your way!
Celia, you are doing the right thing by making a list of things to do that are positive in your life. I thrive on positive thoughts, so hope you can get out and about and enjoy life!
I feel like your doppelgänger. All except art. I wish I could draw.
My first comment disappeared?
I feel like your doppelgänger. My Mom died at 56 so I don't know how bad her arthritis could have become (she was a smoker but died from septicemia caused by old scar tissue/ blocked bowel). My Aunt's arthritis took her into a wheel chair, and death at 92.
In therapy myself. Painful, but I like walking. Audubon, yea I need to connect again.
Several other things you mentioned too, but I'm having a senior moment (age 72).
I am a member of Audobon but not active. Just donate. I do participate in the Cornell Feeder Watch program which helps me look forward to the isolation of winter. I hate getting old with body parts falling away.
Sounds like you have your mind around this aging thing. I need to go to the audio person too, it is getting hard for me to keep up with conversations especially on my cell phone.
If we don't use it we lose it seems to be more true than I care to admit.
Thanks for the boost!
Great to make a list and then be sensible about everything and try not to worry.
I've got painful arthritis and am in remission from cancer and I hope to carry on for a long time! If I live a long time I hope that I will have my mind intact otherwise whats the use?
Maggie x
Nuts in May
I was the same as you thinking about the age my mother was when she died-
age 65- and I sighed a big sigh of relief after I turned 66- now I too am almost 72....guess I'll make it to 96 or so. Hope all goes well and your body feels better!
This is just lovely. I love your list. I didn't like the therapist we went to, so things kind of fell apart after we left. Other than that, you would be proud of me that I am in the water for an hour a day now. :) Your list energizes me. Thanks.
Well let me chime in here as well! My mother died at age 74 from a stroke. I'm 63 (almost) so still have a way to go.
But - I'm asthmatic (since childhood) and have arthritis (like my mom). Feet were injured this summer with too much tai chi. Hips sore like the devil - no not arthritis in that place, but bursitis and tendinitis. What's with all the itis'es???
Also worried about seizing up this winter. I have to get into an exercise program (but hate to, unless it's walking in the fresh air, fresh summer air - not cold winter air).
One of your children has 8? Unheard of these days. Well, one of my boys (his wife actually) is expecting their 7th!!! And everybody is just groaning. What? Another one???
Hmm - life is weird.
The Audubon society! I remember my Grandma talking about that 100 years ago or so!! I must look into it as it sounds like fun! Thanks for the idea.
You go girl! Put on your boring, clumpy shoes (I have some too - hallux valgus) and we'll go dancing. LOL.
Ya gotta laugh (crossing legs or we'll pee our pants), or as Bugs Bunny says "we won't make it out alive anyway."
Celia- just got your message about our little town's fire. Thanks so much for your concern- and yes! we are fine thank goodness! Our home is on the SW side of town and it had no damage. All the damage from the wildfire was on the NE side of town and as the winds were from the south we were never in danger. But the folks in the downtown are and north east of town had devastating damage- homes were burnt to the ground and very quickly as the winds were 25 mph with gusts even higher. OUr sweet little library was completely destroyed and that is very sad. But we Library volunteers and employees are all meeting in the next few days to plan a temporary fix and plan for the future too.
Thankfully no one was hurt or killed.
Yep. I hear ya. I needed that thump on the head to remind myself "Get moving, Peruby!" You are not doing yourself (or your loved ones) any favors sitting around.
Good luck to you.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home