Kitchen Frisbee and the risks of moving
I have a set of Farberware stainless steel clad over aluminum cookware that has been the staple of my kitchen for years. I bought it at a serious discount from Frederick and Nelson in Seattle when sadly F&N went out of business forever. Today though I managed to cook the bottom right off the one-quart pot I use the most.
I lean on my timer for all things burner connected. And I cook low and slow. That's why I got a tiny laptop I could use in the kitchen. Handy for recipes too, no printing required. My problem seems to be just boiling plain water. Water for oatmeal, my favorite breakfast year 'round. I have scorched a stew or two but nothing major. Today I set the timer but failed to actually start it ticking. I had to add water in the nick of time, I thought, and made mygruel oatmeal. The bottom of the pot stayed on long enough for me to wash it and when I picked it up to dry it this Farberware Frisbee fell off the bottom.
This is actually the replacement pot for the original one in the set. In 1999, the year I moved to Walla Walla, I left the original pot on the range long enough to cause huge bubbles to form between the aluminum and the stainless steel sandwich. Cooked my oatmeal anyway and went shopping and I found the new Farberware one at a local store. It was actually a little nicer than the original and the handles matched the original set. Oddly enough I've just moved again after 15 years and voila. No bubbles this time, complete separation. Macy's is having a sale. Crossing my fingers.
No, it's not the lid. Amazing what a repeated application of too much heat will do.
I lean on my timer for all things burner connected. And I cook low and slow. That's why I got a tiny laptop I could use in the kitchen. Handy for recipes too, no printing required. My problem seems to be just boiling plain water. Water for oatmeal, my favorite breakfast year 'round. I have scorched a stew or two but nothing major. Today I set the timer but failed to actually start it ticking. I had to add water in the nick of time, I thought, and made my
This is actually the replacement pot for the original one in the set. In 1999, the year I moved to Walla Walla, I left the original pot on the range long enough to cause huge bubbles to form between the aluminum and the stainless steel sandwich. Cooked my oatmeal anyway and went shopping and I found the new Farberware one at a local store. It was actually a little nicer than the original and the handles matched the original set. Oddly enough I've just moved again after 15 years and voila. No bubbles this time, complete separation. Macy's is having a sale. Crossing my fingers.


4 Comments:
Wow, I had no idea they could do that. I have old, stainless steel, copper bottomed pans also but Cuisine Cookware. I have boiled the big one dry several times due to liking to boil water in the house when the air outside changes too fast and the steam from the water ends any sinus headache I might have gotten from the change. I have never though had a bottom separate. Interesting phenomena. I wonder if my pans could do that. :(. Good luck on the sale
Celia, I have stainless steel pots, so have not had this problem. I think it is healthier to cook in stainless than aluminum. I've also made oatmeal in the crock pot. There is a recipe on the steel cut oats bag, but be sure to put a crock pot liner in before you set it to cook overnight....very sticky.
I hope you are able to find a good replacement. Change in things we have gotten used to is sometimes trying at this age...sigh
I use the same pots (revere ware) I have used for over fifty years. I would be very upset if I destroyed one. Mom got me started with these pans, and although I can't recall which ones she bought, and which ones I bought, I think of her when I cook.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home