Treasure Hunt
I'm feeling energized. At 8am, it's a lovely, sunny 57° here in Walla Walla. The days are in the upper 70's to low 80's. A miracle after weeks and weeks of 95° to 100°+. All my windows are open, the A/C is off and I can hear the birds. My family helped me empty my rental storage last week which adds $ to my budget and I am getting my storage room here organized. At least I can walk around in it and see the labels on the boxes and bins. My living room and spare bedroom are stacked with boxes once more. It's discouraging and like Christmas morning all at the same time. Where did all this come from? I found things I didn't know I had any longer. A carefully wrapped package emerged.
I could feel the frame through the foam wrapping and discovered "Night Light at Kalaloch Beach," a print by Christopher Paul Bollen all framed and ready to be hung. I had moved it from Seattle in 1999 and assumed that I had lost it. It was hidden away with some blank canvasses and other art materials in storage for nearly 15 years. Yowser! I looked Bollen up on the internet and discovered he no longer lives around Seattle but has moved to the Washington Coast. My favorite pieces of his are monochromatic and of the beach and Seattle street scenes. I am so thrilled to have this back in my life. The building on the ridge is one of the cabins on south end of Kalaloch Lodge. I, my two young sons, and their Dad spent many good weekends there. One odd April, spring break, we were there and big storm hit complete with snow and all the power went out. All the lodgers gathered with the staff in the main lodge where a generator supplied some power and light and it turned out to be one of the best times we spent there.
I could feel the frame through the foam wrapping and discovered "Night Light at Kalaloch Beach," a print by Christopher Paul Bollen all framed and ready to be hung. I had moved it from Seattle in 1999 and assumed that I had lost it. It was hidden away with some blank canvasses and other art materials in storage for nearly 15 years. Yowser! I looked Bollen up on the internet and discovered he no longer lives around Seattle but has moved to the Washington Coast. My favorite pieces of his are monochromatic and of the beach and Seattle street scenes. I am so thrilled to have this back in my life. The building on the ridge is one of the cabins on south end of Kalaloch Lodge. I, my two young sons, and their Dad spent many good weekends there. One odd April, spring break, we were there and big storm hit complete with snow and all the power went out. All the lodgers gathered with the staff in the main lodge where a generator supplied some power and light and it turned out to be one of the best times we spent there.


7 Comments:
This is a sad painting too...all those trees, now flotsam and jetsam, once living things. However, a lovely composition. I too have a closet full of things in frames. I doubt any of them are as nice as your newly found treasurer.
It does get about 120 inches of rain a year there, sad for many people, but that's the sky I grew up under, and it seems peaceful and calm to me.
This scene reminds me of "after a flood" in some paintings I have seen. I almost missed the cabin on the right side. Nice work...I'm glad you found it, Celia
Isn't that great to find this artwork again! Have a good day and isn't it nice to have all your "stuff" out of storage! Cheers and don't work too hard!
What a wonderful gift for you and the new place. So glad you are feeling well enough to write. I was jazzed to see the note from you yesterday too. :)
That's an amazing painting. And wow - it was stored for 15 years and you didn't even know it? What a wonderful surprise to find it again :D Especially since you have so many fond memories :)
Did you haul all your art stuff out? I just brought my pastelles up from the garage. Ink...slowly. Hope you are doing better today.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home