My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Walking

Got my new walking shoes on and drove myself to Pioneer Park, wait for it, and then I went for a 20 minute walk.  There is parking near the center and that way I can walk as far as I can and still stay near the van.  It's not a huge park but I'm more out of shape than I realized.  I had to stop twice.  I circled through the aviary, around a very green pond, and back to the van.  One pause for breath by the aviary I saw this little bird   It's a Temminick's Tragopan.  Never heard of it; I had to check it online.  It's a kind of Asian pheasant.  


The Park aviary has been a target for the city budget cutters for awhile now.  They decided to cut off its funding and close it.  Big objections all around.  The city said it could stay if someone else paid for it.  Private fund raising kicked in and raised enough to save it an hour before the 5PM deadline the day the city was going officially stamp it a lost cause.  This speckled bird is one of the residents.  The whole park is somewhat neglected in spots.  The bandstand my son and his wife were married in is falling apart.  There was a wedding by it today as I arrived but not in it.  The large creek fed pond is wall to wall scum, and so on and so on.  It has a fairly new playground for kids, a nice rose garden, and some outdoor sculpture. Money, money.

I got back into the driver's seat but it was too nice to go home so I drove out to the Mill Creek trail looking for a less populated view.  I was breathing comfortably again so I took a short, slow 10 minute stroll up and down one side.  I saw a blue heron fly upstream but I wasn't fast enough with my almost smart phone to catch it.  I did get a shot of this Canadian Goose napping on a rock midstream.  


I wobbled back to van after this little walk, maxed out.  But I was pleased with myself.  I think I will try Mill Creek again tomorrow if my feet have recovered.  I finished the afternoon by driving up to Bennington Lake where I parked and watched other people walk and kayak while I listened to the breeze waft through the thistles and trees.  It was lovely.

8 Comments:

Blogger Linda Kay said...

Celia, walking is good for our physical being, but we have to feed the mind as well with that lovely relaxing scene. Have a good Sunday!

September 28, 2014 at 7:24 AM  
Blogger Rain Trueax said...

I've gotten way out of shape and when i walk I notice it big time. I am thinking when we head for Tucson, maybe there I'll get into the groove again. writing has been a huge distraction as it is obsessive in wanting to do it and way too sedentary.

September 28, 2014 at 8:48 AM  
Blogger Celia said...

Linda - it really is relaxing there. Those little barrier dams are mini-waterfalls, a soothing sound.

Rain - It's surprising how quickly a body can decondition especially in front of the computer where I spend probably more time than I need too.

September 28, 2014 at 12:42 PM  
Blogger Mage said...

Boy, I am so proud of you. I'm so much like you...I sit, I widen, I cough.

September 29, 2014 at 3:23 PM  
Blogger Celia said...

Thank you Mage, I'm trying for every other day.

September 29, 2014 at 3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose the budget cutters must start somewhere. The school budget takes much of our county budget, and it gets worse every year. Local residents are busy trying to save a neighborhood park with a walking track. The county board wants to build a new mega school on the land. Kids would be bussed from near and far. Locals want the park. The county will eventually do what it wants.

How nice that you saved your park. Nice for the little birds too.

September 29, 2014 at 4:40 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

What an amazing bird! Aren't we lucky we have google? I'm on it all the time. Saw a grey bird at my feeder with a yellow tummy. Even though I googled the description, I never found out what it was. Oh well.

Walking can be a chore these days. We do get out of shape so quickly. This summer I had a foot injury and now I have bursitis. I sound like an real old lady. LOL. Anyway, it's kept me from walking and biking as much as I usually do. Guess we all have stuff to go through.
Enjoy the week.

September 29, 2014 at 5:10 PM  
Blogger Brig said...

Wonderful to read that you are getting out there and getting fit in the process. I use Willie as an excuse to get out of the house to jog/run twice a day. But I often stop to smell the earth, feel the breeze, hear the creatures...

October 1, 2014 at 9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home