My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Sweet Potato?Yam stews

Here's my recipe for my pork stew approximately, I tend to fling herbs in and not exactly follow a recipe.  I cook for 16-18 people on Tuesday so when my turn comes up (once a month) for the main meat dish it's usually a two-day production in my tiny one-person kitchen.  Sometimes I cook more and freeze a couple of little dishes for my future one-person dinners.


The pork stew was a variation on the chicken stew I make.  I liked the chicken better.  I think the pork kind of overwhelmed some of the other flavors in the stew.  I like lots of onion and garlic.  Do the sweet potato last it can get mushy unless you want it to be gravy-like.


Sweet Potato Pork Stew
2 teaspoon ground coriander
2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
2-3 bay leaves depending on size   
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
6 pounds boneless pork spare ribs simmered/cooked it the day before to cut the fat
3 cups chopped onion (I use red onions)
1 1/2 teaspoons powdered ginger   
garlic cloves, minced
5 cups of reconstituted salt-free powdered chicken broth

4 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato/yams the orange ones        
1 1/2 tsp Garam Marsala (an Indian mixed herb I like a lot)   

Sweet Potato Chicken Stew
4 teaspoons curry powder   
2 teaspoon ground coriander
2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
2-3 bay leaves depending on size   
1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
7 pounds chicken - I cleaned all the frozen chicken out of my freezer, some boneless some not, and cooked it the day before and removed any bones. 
3 cups chopped onion (I use red onions)
1 1/2 teaspoons powdered ginger   
garlic cloves, minced
5 cups of reconstituted salt-free powdered chicken broth

4 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato
2 cups canned hominy rinsed and drained  (you can use rice or pasta as a side dish instead of adding hominy, not everyone likes it I found !!? 
1 1/2 tsp Garam Marsala (an Indian herb I like a lot)



Basically I do the meat first, the day before. Then I sauté the onions and garlic, add the meat, add all the herbs, cook about five minutes then add the chicken broth and everything else.  Don't overcook.  Simmer over low heat.

I doubled a recipe I had, at least the meat and potatoes.  I did not double most of the herbs except for onions and garlic (did I mention I love those?).   



6 Comments:

Blogger Michele Bilyeu said...

The both sound delicious, Celia! I am saving them and trying them out. Love sweet potatoes, both yellow and orange!

January 16, 2015 at 5:19 AM  
Blogger Linda Kay said...

Celia, I have to admit I've never tried making a stew with sweet potatoes, but this sounds really good. Thanks for sharing your recipe....I love onions in almost everything!

January 16, 2015 at 6:09 AM  
Blogger Mage said...

On a day I have the time, I will try this.

January 16, 2015 at 2:27 PM  
Blogger Brig said...

It can't be anything but good if it has garlic in it...just say'n!

January 16, 2015 at 9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All those spices must give it a sweet taste. I need to make something with some chicken in my fridge. Your dish looks almost like Chicken Masala.

January 17, 2015 at 10:37 AM  
Blogger Kathe W. said...

delish- will be trying both versions! Cheers!

January 17, 2015 at 10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home