Not my post office!
I have three sisters and we keep in touch and connect in many ways. We have the usual electronics exercised daily. Where I live the weather can put the cells and PCs out of business in a second leaving only my old faithful corded phone operating (cordless go out when the power does of course). And the sound is better on the land line, a plus as the hearing of our aging family begins to deteriorate. But I digress.
We four sisters give the post office regular exercise and I have one cousin who writes too. This is in spite of texts and emails, I used to be a prolific letter writer. Our parents got us started. My father often traveled overseas in his work and wrote every week or more, letters to Mom and letters to each of us, separately, each in its own envelope. My mother wrote to our grandparents frequently. She helped us write back to Dad and all as well as making sure we wrote timely thank you letters. Somewhere I have the telegram Dad sent to his parents announcing I'd been born, an early electronic letter?
I shudder when I hear the post office might go the way of the Dodo bird. Our mail now goes to Spokane 300 miles away for sorting in and out. Nearly every week I receive a card or letter from my sisters, or even a small package. We send books, news clippings, soap, windup toys and old photos, yes, I know you can do that electronically. I have just started scanning the pictures to share out of an old album my sister Pam brought me when I visited. I have a CD of home movies from another sister's ex-husband with wonderful, funny movies of our kids as babies and all of us young and healthy. It came in the mail.
After I post this I will be writing to Pam (who just visited me) on the new note cards I recently bought. I know she will like it as I do when I get her notes with cat and bunny stickers all over them. She is much into cat and rabbit rescue and I know its her note as soon as I touch it, just as I know most books in mail come from Susan. I like the touch and feel of that. A letter in the hand. Same with books. I think that's why I've never quite got on with e-books. I love the feel of the paper, especially ones with deckle edges and reading what type face it was printed in. I love seeing my sisters hand writing, knowing they touched this missive, chose this note or paper. It touches me in a way email can't which is probably why I still have a scrap of paper my Dad wrote on. It has instructions he noted for setting the stations on a mini-boombox I gave him after his little old radio refused to broadcast any longer. It doesn't matter what he wrote, just that it's his handwriting, just like those old letters, and when I pick it up I connect with something precious to me.
We four sisters give the post office regular exercise and I have one cousin who writes too. This is in spite of texts and emails, I used to be a prolific letter writer. Our parents got us started. My father often traveled overseas in his work and wrote every week or more, letters to Mom and letters to each of us, separately, each in its own envelope. My mother wrote to our grandparents frequently. She helped us write back to Dad and all as well as making sure we wrote timely thank you letters. Somewhere I have the telegram Dad sent to his parents announcing I'd been born, an early electronic letter?
I shudder when I hear the post office might go the way of the Dodo bird. Our mail now goes to Spokane 300 miles away for sorting in and out. Nearly every week I receive a card or letter from my sisters, or even a small package. We send books, news clippings, soap, windup toys and old photos, yes, I know you can do that electronically. I have just started scanning the pictures to share out of an old album my sister Pam brought me when I visited. I have a CD of home movies from another sister's ex-husband with wonderful, funny movies of our kids as babies and all of us young and healthy. It came in the mail.
After I post this I will be writing to Pam (who just visited me) on the new note cards I recently bought. I know she will like it as I do when I get her notes with cat and bunny stickers all over them. She is much into cat and rabbit rescue and I know its her note as soon as I touch it, just as I know most books in mail come from Susan. I like the touch and feel of that. A letter in the hand. Same with books. I think that's why I've never quite got on with e-books. I love the feel of the paper, especially ones with deckle edges and reading what type face it was printed in. I love seeing my sisters hand writing, knowing they touched this missive, chose this note or paper. It touches me in a way email can't which is probably why I still have a scrap of paper my Dad wrote on. It has instructions he noted for setting the stations on a mini-boombox I gave him after his little old radio refused to broadcast any longer. It doesn't matter what he wrote, just that it's his handwriting, just like those old letters, and when I pick it up I connect with something precious to me.

18 Comments:
Sadly not many seem to write notes, or send things anymore. I like my Kindle, but I love to have the paper version of my favorite books.
One of my granddaughters away at college, writes notes often and it is a joy I treasure.
Celia, what a lovely exercise with your sisters to keep in touch with a more personal touch. We are losing this in our electronic world.
Linda Kay - yes, we do seem to be in a minority but lucky that all the sisters do it.
Brighid - how cool your g-girl writes, they get so far away as they move out into the world.
The Post Office is going the way of the Dodo. Sad to see it happen but much I have loved is disappearing. Welcome to the Brave New World.
Lovely post and I SO agree. I love to send regular mail and have been making Valentine's just to mail some love.
Our Salem mail travels to Portland first and then come back to my Salem recipients...adding a day to my timing.
In Alaska, they are taking our Douglas P O.away completely. Our last piece of independent island identity from Juneau across the channel.
Such a shame and a loss to our family of Alaskan pioneers!
Sign of the times I'd rather not have!
So sorry Michele, at least we still have two post offices in the vicinty, and one in a grocery store here. So far we've managed to hang on to our DOL office, it was listed as closing twice now to my knowledge. We'll be back to pony express w/o the ponies.
You are right Schmidley, I finally realized that I grew up in a world that is gone and fewer and fewer remember. Have to change or stay a stranger in a strange land.
Yes, I agree that there's nothing quite like a letter in your hand and cards are precious because they're not cheap. However, they can be kept for years and an email is often discarded.
We were all brought up to letter write and I used to love writing and receiving them. Somehow or other, we don't seem to have the time these days. What has gone wrong? I suspect it's *screens*!!!!!
Maggie x
What an homage to letter writing. I'm terrible at that, mainly because I'm so cheap. But notecards are often so gorgeous. I do miss using them and getting them.
I think you captured the reality...it is the handwriting of someone we love that takes us back to that memory. Two of our Post Office staff have been let go, retired...not sure,but the two left behind are overworked!
Hello greetings and good wishes.
Probably you are one among the few in the world who still keep writing letters. When I was young, we had a hand writing class in our school. Now who bothers about hand writing.
Amazing that you still keep old letters. They bring back wonderful memories of the past.
Best wishes
This is so so wonderful that your dad would write each of you your own letter! What a wonderful tradition. And I love it that you keep it up to date because I do think that receiving a letter, especially nowadays where it is rare, is something very special :) I found one for Valentine's Day in my mailbox from husband - it was the best surprise ever :)
Have an amazing Sunday!
It's very thoughtful to receive a letter. That's very rare now. Good for you to have kept that.
I really hope the art of the hand-written letter doesn't die. A hand-written letter is just so much more personal and meaningful. Have a great Monday, Celia :)
Oh, I quite understand. I love the feel of a book in my hands. Could not do ebooks - don't think ever. And all those letters in Mom and Dad's handwriting. {[[sigh}} I feel as if they are still with me.
Those were the days when Mom would sit down and teach me to write my "thank-you" letters to my dear grandmother and aunts and uncles for birthday gifts or Christmas gifts. I remember how exited she was when she received a letter in the mail from her Mom. And I too as a child loved to received letters from the mailman.
Those were the days (now I really sound like an old grandma - LOL) when my Mom would invited the mailman in for a cup of coffee on a freezing winter day. Or the bread man. No, there was no hankie-pankie - just old fashioned concern and care for a fellow human.
Hugs
I am sorry for the kids who will be researching their grandparents one day and find that we did everything by email!
lovely and thoughtful post- I love getting letters! and your post reminds me that I should write more letters than email....they cannot be deleted! Cheers!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home