The Big Announcement
So! Last week the Walla Walla City officials announced there would be a "huge" announcement today and...Ta da!
A group calling itself GOTR - Gentlemen of the Road are coming here to put on a big show, and for WW it is a very huge show. Mumford & Sons are a Grammy-winning band that I've never heard of; I'm still playing my old Dave Mathews CD's. The Mumfords & Company are currently touring Lisbon, Portugal, then Aviemore Scotland, and then, whaaat? Walla Walla, WA. They call it a Stopover. They like to pick small out of the way towns. Aviemore has less than 3,000 people, it's in the blinking Scottish Highlands. Walla Walla is getting mention in all sorts of newsie/touristy ways. I'm sure the jillion wineries here are hysterical with joy. My two 40ish sons are nearly hysterical over the Foo Fighters being here.
It certainly will be warm, probably hot, great concert weather. Wonder if I can rent my spare room out? Nah.
The population here is 31,595 people. There could be about 30,000 outside visitors coming here to partake of this venue. The City and businesses are arranging camping for visitors and the use of the side by side athletic fields of Whitman College and DeSales Catholic High School as well as the Walla Walla Sweets ballfield as a venue. And it's practically downtown. There's a couple of apartment houses nearby that will either be unhappy or thrilled that they have free, nearly front row seating.
Why am I having a Maxine moment over this? It's just one weekend. I can probably hear most of the concert from where I live, certainly from my old house you will. I'm usually delighted when good music, plays, or speakers show up here. I'm sure they expect someone to make big bucks out of this but who is paying for all the setup?
Update here:
"Representatives from Whitman College and the City of Walla Walla visited a previous concert site, Troy Ohio, and they said if we don't want them they'd do it again. Mumford and Sons' goal is to leave the place better than when they arrived. They cover all costs associated with the event and a crew stays behind after the event to make sure everything is put back into place correctly. BTW, more than 20,000 are expected. Between 30,000 and 35,000."
I hope everyone who comes has a good time, doesn't get run over, lost in the pothole from hell, or thrown up on, especially me.
A group calling itself GOTR - Gentlemen of the Road are coming here to put on a big show, and for WW it is a very huge show. Mumford & Sons are a Grammy-winning band that I've never heard of; I'm still playing my old Dave Mathews CD's. The Mumfords & Company are currently touring Lisbon, Portugal, then Aviemore Scotland, and then, whaaat? Walla Walla, WA. They call it a Stopover. They like to pick small out of the way towns. Aviemore has less than 3,000 people, it's in the blinking Scottish Highlands. Walla Walla is getting mention in all sorts of newsie/touristy ways. I'm sure the jillion wineries here are hysterical with joy. My two 40ish sons are nearly hysterical over the Foo Fighters being here.
It certainly will be warm, probably hot, great concert weather. Wonder if I can rent my spare room out? Nah.
The population here is 31,595 people. There could be about 30,000 outside visitors coming here to partake of this venue. The City and businesses are arranging camping for visitors and the use of the side by side athletic fields of Whitman College and DeSales Catholic High School as well as the Walla Walla Sweets ballfield as a venue. And it's practically downtown. There's a couple of apartment houses nearby that will either be unhappy or thrilled that they have free, nearly front row seating.
Why am I having a Maxine moment over this? It's just one weekend. I can probably hear most of the concert from where I live, certainly from my old house you will. I'm usually delighted when good music, plays, or speakers show up here. I'm sure they expect someone to make big bucks out of this but who is paying for all the setup?
Update here:
"Representatives from Whitman College and the City of Walla Walla visited a previous concert site, Troy Ohio, and they said if we don't want them they'd do it again. Mumford and Sons' goal is to leave the place better than when they arrived. They cover all costs associated with the event and a crew stays behind after the event to make sure everything is put back into place correctly. BTW, more than 20,000 are expected. Between 30,000 and 35,000."
I hope everyone who comes has a good time, doesn't get run over, lost in the pothole from hell, or thrown up on, especially me.


11 Comments:
My youngest son has scored tickets for he and his brother. They are VERY happy.
I love serendipity stuff like this. It means small townies can be like big city folks for a while.
Sounds like one of the big Rock concerts from back in the 70s, doesn't it? But at least they will clean up the mess. I'm sure they will take in enough money to do it. Remember Woodstock!
Sounds like fun. If nothing else, forks can go hangout on the fence and listen. Keep us posted.
Around the Fourth of July, the city where I live goes nuts. Heck, groups come here all year for this, that and the other. Some groups dean up after themselves, many don't. Some have even wrecked the Mall. Taxpayers foot the cleanup bill via the US Park Service.
When MLK had his gathering here 50 years ago, not a bit of paper was left behind, and there were close to 1 million in that crowd. ditto the million Man March.
I hope your gathering turns out well.
This comment has been removed by the author.
Celia said...
Yes, I remember the 70's rock concerts out in farmer's pastures here. One was along the train tracks between Seattle and Portland and the train slowed because people were crossing the rails and others were jumping off the train (thereby getting in free).
Walla Walla is small enough that many (me too) can walk there which is good 'cause there will be little parking ;-) Maybe they will set up a park and ride like from the Fairgrounds. That's a possibility
Love me some Mumford & Sons!
We have a couple of very big 10 day events here each year. They provide much needed tourist dollars and give others a chance to see small town America.
My kids like the Foo Fighters. Me, not so much, mainly because I don't keep up on much of the modern music. The warning here is good in case we were heading to Montana, this would not be a good week :). I remember once coming across South Dakota with no clue why so many motorcyclists-- the Sturgis Rally. It pays to know what's up.
Wow Celia I just might make my way to your neck of the woods to partake!!
Come on over Keith and bring your lovely bride with you.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home