My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Saturday, March 7, 2015

Thoughts about comfort


Do you have a piece of clothing that you wear, a lot?  Several times a week?  I have a gray Hanes sweatshirt cardigan with pockets I've owned for over 20 years.  I put it on over my pj's when I get up and find my way to the coffee pot.  I'm Linus in a sweatshirt.  I pulled it out of the dryer yesterday and noticed it's elbows are getting thin and it has a little hole in the sleeve.  Then I noticed the skin on my elbows is getting thin.  I have no new holes though. I have a pair of Hanes sweatpants that are even older and has no holes either. The new stuff doesn't have that jillions of washes feel to them what shall I do.

Coffee Comfort! And I am thrilled with every new article I see on what coffee might do for you. The recent one posited that it would help keep your arteries open. The one before said it might keep colon cancer at away.  As a life long asthmatic I found caffeine can help keep a mild asthma attack at bay. When I was a small child there were not the array of treatments for asthma as we have today.  Emergencies were to the hospital for oxygen and a shot of adrenalin. At home, it was hot liquids mainly coffee with cream. People used to tell my Mom it would stunt my growth, ha, I was 5' 8" before age made me 5' 6".

My cell phone. I live in a remote town and once you leave the city limits it's just you among the sagebrush and wheat fields.  I can't change my tires myself anymore. The spare is cemented by dirt to undercarriage. Who thought that was a good place for a spare?  My phone and triple A allow me to roam at will. When I was in the hospital with the flu this winter I had a lot of company via text with my distant sisters, I loved it. It allows conversation to go on in ways that a phone call can't. Hooray for unlimited texting.  Hmm, my spell checker thinks texting should be testing!?

My bed.  I have six pillows on my bed.  Not decorative, they prop up my creaky joints.  I like sleeping in the middle of them. Almost better than the sweatshirt. It's tempting to stay in the sack at times but the creaky joints don't like sleeping or sitting too long, have to get up and move.

And then there's grandchildren who still like to cuddle up with me.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love coffee but it doesn't like me. The acid overwhelms me and I don't know how to drink one cup. Happy you can do this. As for clothes, I try to rotate them, but I do have favorite items, like the sweater long enough to cover my rear end.

March 7, 2015 at 2:30 PM  
Blogger Brig said...

I have always loved coffee. Drink it all day long, even at night. Doesn't keep me awake.
A few old favorite clothes, Mens dress shirt that I sleep in is the favorite. I don't really have a lot of clothes.

March 7, 2015 at 6:06 PM  
Blogger Celia said...

Coffee doesn't keep me awake thank goodness. I have fond memories of coffee around the kitchen table after work and before dinner with parents and sisters.

March 7, 2015 at 7:20 PM  
Blogger Linda Kay said...

My coffee pot is the first think I turn on in the morning...drink two cups and I'm done. I have a long pillow I sleep with to throw my leg over.

March 8, 2015 at 1:17 PM  
Blogger Tabor said...

Coffee does boost my blood pressure which is usually quite low so I drink decaf. I also love snuggling with grand kids! My favorite now is a very soft chenille bathrobe my daughter-in-law gave me years ago.

March 8, 2015 at 1:34 PM  
Blogger Lux G. said...

I feel comfort reading this remembering things that also bring me comfort. :)

March 9, 2015 at 9:38 AM  
Blogger Optimistic Existentialist said...

Coffee and comfort go hand in hand for me :)

March 11, 2015 at 4:41 AM  
Blogger Mage said...

You can find me and my creaking in the pool at 0730 every morning. Not voluntarily, please note. But I feel so much better after a half hour of aerobics and twenty minutes of my PT in the hot tub, I go. Yes, lots of pillows. Yes, Both G and I have those seat-pillow things that were so very popular in the fifties. LOL Add more pillows, and we are both in heaven.

Yes, lots of coffee....and a little caffeine mid afternoon too.

March 12, 2015 at 7:26 PM  
Blogger Kathe W. said...

love your comfort list! Have a splendid day!

March 24, 2015 at 9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home