My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Murder, Alzheimer's and Chili




I just finished watching Season 3 of Henning Mankel's Wallender, the Swedish version.  I read the books first and I really like the Swedish version better than the BBC Kenneth Branagh version. The BBC was very good, but the Swedish is dead on (forgive the pun). The whole series is most excellent but Season 3 the mysteries are interwoven with Wallender's decline into Alzheimer's.  I cried through the end of the last one.  It was so well done and Krister Henriksson's portrayal of a man trying to hold on to his life as is was is powerful and heartbreaking.  It's on Netflix streaming if you are interested.

I cooked a mountain of red beans Sunday for the main dish at the family dinner last Tuesday. I made chili. Never did I imagine I would be cooking something for 18-20 people each week.  I'm the salad lady for Easter dinner and we'll skip dinner next Tuesday.  Tuesdays are $5 day at the movies and I'm going to go see the second Marigold Hotel movie that night.  Perfect.

For dinner, we rotate dishes through the available cooks. There's enough of us so the main dish only comes up once a month. The only problem has been a continuing discussion about starch or vegetables.  The "courses" are protein (not necessarily meat), bread, starch, veggies, and dessert. There are two grown women there pretty much don't eat anything green. On their watch veggies or starch, it's potatoes.  There are three diabetics at the table and we just keep quiet and eat what fits.  The anti-greens do the same. One night won't kill anybody. Cooking are two grandmas, one Mom, one uncle, and one 91-year-old great-grandmother. I wonder if I will be cooking at 91? I wonder if I want to be 91?

I froze the extra beans.  I like to make bean dip out of them or red beans and rice, with sausage.  We have a couple of sources of right off the farm sausage here. Yummy. I was surprised at how well-cooked beans keep in the freezer.

I'm saving up recipes for these meals.  I don't have much experience cooking for so many. This has been a learning process for me.

Chili for 20
3+ lbs ground meat (I used 4 pounds, wasn't sure there would be enough but there was and I kept two servings out for moi)
1 lb Andouille sausage sliced very thin, I like to add the hot with sausage
6 clove garlic squished through my garlic press
4 sticks celery sliced
3 large onions diced
3 chopped red bell peppers
12+ cups cooked red beans add extra if extra people (I cook these up a day or so before I need them, keep them in the fridge and then freeze and extra beans when it's all over.)
4- 15 oz Cans reduced sodium diced or crushed tomatoes undrained
Olive oil as needed
Water or chicken stock to add throughout cooking (mixed up the powdered stuff from a jar in hot water and added my salt and pepper to it.
2 tbsp Chili powder
Tbsp+ tabasco to taste
2 tsp Cumin
Salt  pepper  to taste

I sauteed the onions, garlic, bell peppers, and celery in olive oil in the big pot.
Then I browned the ground meat and sausage the day before.  If it's fatter ground beef or ground pork sausage I brown it in a big pan and dump the grease. Add meat to the veggies.  
Add chili powder and cumin to pan.
Add chicken stock (or hot water) with s&p.
Add the four cans of tomatoes.
Add the beans and remaining ingredients to the pot. Stir well.
Adjust seasonings.  I ended up adding more tabasco. This is low-medium hot as we have several small children at the dinner table.
I cooked it an hour and a half and then set it out to cool so I could get it in the car to bring to dinner.


It keeps well in fridge for several days so you can make this ahead and it freezes well, 


9 Comments:

Blogger Linda Kay said...

I'm not familiar with what you were watching. It's fun to get involved in some of the serial shows, but frustrating when you can't be there to watch. Chili recipe looks great.

April 3, 2015 at 6:38 AM  
Blogger Celia said...

Linda Kay, here's a link about Henning Mankell's Wallender books if you're interested. http://henningmankell.com/books/wallander/

April 3, 2015 at 8:25 AM  
Blogger Rain Trueax said...

I've never heard of the series but will keep my eyes open as we now have netflix but so far haven't watched much there. The chili sounds good :)

April 3, 2015 at 9:37 AM  
Blogger Tabor said...

I have seen both Wallanders versions and I like them both for different reasons. There is also another OLDER Swedish version with a totally different actor that I watched last night and did not like it as much.

April 3, 2015 at 11:10 AM  
Blogger Brig said...

I don't watch TV much at all, so I'm unaware of this series.
The chili recipe does sound good, I will give it a try. Thanks!

April 4, 2015 at 8:17 PM  
Blogger Mage said...

Goodness, you have been social. How much longer will you be rotating feeding the masses. Yes, I like the sound of that chili recipe....lots of garlic.

Glad you are feeling better.

April 6, 2015 at 7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chili con Carne sounds great. Unfortunately, I become ill if I eat it (long story). As for Wallendar, we get it here on a PBS station operated by a local university, which screens all the international mysteries. Yes, I knew he declined with Alzheimer's. Awful.

April 12, 2015 at 1:02 PM  
Blogger Kathe W. said...

thanks for the recipe- we are having 20 or so hikers over next month for a potluck and I will make your chili! Great recipe! And thanks also for always leaving such nice comments!
I love Wallendar and we have to wait soooo long for Netflix DVD's. We are stuck half way through season 2....they say they cannot get us the rest for a few months. BAH!
Cheers!

April 15, 2015 at 6:00 PM  
Blogger Maggie May said...

The recipe sounds nice but as I only eat chicken would have to adapt it.
There is enough to feed an army! I cannot cook in bulk these days.
Not seen Wallendar at all.
Maggie x

April 17, 2015 at 5:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home