Let me see. What can I say? Been offline for awhile. Desk top crashed and burned, got a new laptop with Windows 8 something, hate, hate, hate. Got my pictures on Dropbox before the crash and the files I wanted to keep. Supposed to get a free Windows 10 upgrade the end of July. Meanwhile not much in the way of pictures here.
Today it will be in the low 100's again today. And probably the next day, and the next to infinity and beyond. I'm praying that some how we are spared a huge fire season. Hooray for air conditioning. We've got some smoke in the air as there's a fire in progress about 30 miles away up in the Blue Mountains in one of those steeply cliffed , brushy, heavily treed places. Prayers for the fire fighters up there in this heat.
Baked chicken in the oven early today. Yum, chicken salad for dinner and maybe a nice sandwich or two with cranberry sauce in it. Then I'll make some muffins. Or not.
The unusual heat occurred just as the birdie fledglings are popping out of the nests. The protocol is to leave them to their parents to care for if they are stranded on the ground unless they are injured. My eldest son, who walks to work, saw two fledgling crows on the ground flopping around when he was walking back to work after lunch. He let them some water. On his way home he saw one had gone and the other was lying on it's side in the gutter. It was still alive so he took it to a local veterinarian who receives wildlife for Blue Mountain Wildlife rescue about 60 miles from here. They take the birdies to hopefully recover and be released into the wild. I know many people are not crazy about crows but they are interesting to me and they clean up carrion and are protected by the Migratory Bird act. BMW will care for it and release it into the wild. The vet said the heat here really came at the wrong time and has had a big negative impact on the bird population here, all kinds of birds. The babies pop out of the nest and keel over from the heat.
Life has slowed down considerably in my world. I pretty much stay inside in the afternoons or go somewhere cool. I like the library. Get a comfy chair and get lost in a book. Then there is a pool here. I did take a class to make an Appalachian egg basket (yes, ha, ha, basket weaving). It was fun and the basket is cute. Meanwhile I read and watch lots of Netflix until it's late enough to wander outside again, although mostly I don't.
My sister and 13 year-old nephew are coming tomorrow. Driving up the Columbia Gorge. I hope they leave very early. Gaggy hot tomorrow plus the 4th of July weekend is beginning. We will go watch fireworks from afar and hope nothing more catches on fire. I am hopeful. While they aren't banned here it been really quiet unlike previous years. Nice small town festival in the biggest and very shady park here. We'll go, water bottles in hand, hats on. It 's supposed to top out at 100 which is an improvement. Mad dogs etc. go out in the noon day sun. My youngest son got married there nearly 20 years ago under the bandstand in August. It was 113. Bit much for a Scandinavian/Celtic girl from Seattle. So far so good.
Today it will be in the low 100's again today. And probably the next day, and the next to infinity and beyond. I'm praying that some how we are spared a huge fire season. Hooray for air conditioning. We've got some smoke in the air as there's a fire in progress about 30 miles away up in the Blue Mountains in one of those steeply cliffed , brushy, heavily treed places. Prayers for the fire fighters up there in this heat.
Baked chicken in the oven early today. Yum, chicken salad for dinner and maybe a nice sandwich or two with cranberry sauce in it. Then I'll make some muffins. Or not.
The unusual heat occurred just as the birdie fledglings are popping out of the nests. The protocol is to leave them to their parents to care for if they are stranded on the ground unless they are injured. My eldest son, who walks to work, saw two fledgling crows on the ground flopping around when he was walking back to work after lunch. He let them some water. On his way home he saw one had gone and the other was lying on it's side in the gutter. It was still alive so he took it to a local veterinarian who receives wildlife for Blue Mountain Wildlife rescue about 60 miles from here. They take the birdies to hopefully recover and be released into the wild. I know many people are not crazy about crows but they are interesting to me and they clean up carrion and are protected by the Migratory Bird act. BMW will care for it and release it into the wild. The vet said the heat here really came at the wrong time and has had a big negative impact on the bird population here, all kinds of birds. The babies pop out of the nest and keel over from the heat.
Life has slowed down considerably in my world. I pretty much stay inside in the afternoons or go somewhere cool. I like the library. Get a comfy chair and get lost in a book. Then there is a pool here. I did take a class to make an Appalachian egg basket (yes, ha, ha, basket weaving). It was fun and the basket is cute. Meanwhile I read and watch lots of Netflix until it's late enough to wander outside again, although mostly I don't.
My sister and 13 year-old nephew are coming tomorrow. Driving up the Columbia Gorge. I hope they leave very early. Gaggy hot tomorrow plus the 4th of July weekend is beginning. We will go watch fireworks from afar and hope nothing more catches on fire. I am hopeful. While they aren't banned here it been really quiet unlike previous years. Nice small town festival in the biggest and very shady park here. We'll go, water bottles in hand, hats on. It 's supposed to top out at 100 which is an improvement. Mad dogs etc. go out in the noon day sun. My youngest son got married there nearly 20 years ago under the bandstand in August. It was 113. Bit much for a Scandinavian/Celtic girl from Seattle. So far so good.

8 Comments:
uh Fouth of zJuly noise here. Too bad about your computer. I love apple so far. Working on a laptop sucks, however. I had no idea your summers were so hot.
O' Schmidley, it does usually get hot the end of July and then August, but this is way early. The only bonus I see is for the wheat farmers here who will have a bang up crop this year. When my life settles a bit I will get my favorite PC guy to see if he can resuscitate the desktop. Meanwhile I guess it won't hurt my brain to figure out some new stuff even if I don't like it. Youngest son said I shoulda got an apple.
nice to read your blog and "catch up with you". It's darn hot hereto. We do not have AC so hopefully the heat cuts back before our home is too warm inside. I took a cold bath this afternoon after being outside too long! Cheers- Happy 4th and saty cool!
So sorry about all your computer problems. Do not upload 10 yet. There;s a lot of bugs. My husband had a Win 8 new work computer and he hates it. You are not alone. It's just great to see you again.
Our heat has broken with lots of rain. Rain gushers, gentle misting, normal rain...we are getting it all. The ground is spongy and the woods are deep green. The baby birds maybe drowning!
Our heat has just barely reached 100 but way too hot for this area and we don't have a/c. Fortunately, our nights are still cool. It though does play havoc even with our plans. For my husband to get the irrigation going, we put off going to town until afternoon. The stores were packed, probably due to the coming holiday. We had forgotten the cold box; so the only answer with three stores to visit was my staying in the car with the a/c running; so the cold stuff wouldn't spoil before it got home.
Glad to hear you are staying in during the heat of the day.
I too like crows, they are quite the characters at times. There used to be one that lived near the bunkhouse. It would take nuts from the trees, fly to the powerlines, watch for a pickup to come, and throw the nut in the road so the pickup would smash it open.
It has been 110 here for a while, everything is crispy. Too dry for fireworks.
Oh wow, the heat sounds really bad. We're looking forward to summer in winter when it's dark early and cold outside, so we can go out and be active again - and then that's not possible at all. I hope the heat won't stay for too long anymore so you can fully enjoy summer! And stay safe from any fires.
Thank you for your lovely comment :)
I hope you are doing well. Have an amazing week.
Lots of hugs to you,
Beate
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home