Writing Class and an Eclipse
I saw the eclipse of the moon last night. No pictures, my electronics, computers, cameras and I seem to be on the outs.
My sister told me she spent two hours yesterday on the phone with Dell getting M/S 10 back off her laptop and restored to its original configuration. I'm considering the same thing. We are both writing letters to Microsoft. Of course they have nothing to do with my camera and phone problems.
I signed up for a writing class on that focusses on memoire. It just said writing in the title, nothing about memoire but I'm in. I didn't realize memoire seems to have morphed into something a little different than when I was in college or maybe I wasn't paying attention. We are working very short stories of something personal we have experienced with which we might be struggling. I decided this morning to write about why I used to cry when I heard fire or ambulance sirens. I have always pulled over for them but I used to cry so hard sometimes I couldn't drive on for a bit and had no idea why.
Reading personal stuff face to face with an audience that at this point is composed of people I don't know right now is a challenge too. I write here before people I mostly have never seen or spoken with in person. I have often admired writers who have courageously laid their lives out in print and wanted to do the same. I never expected at 73 to be thinking "what will they think of me if I say this or that?"
I 'll do it. I'd like to go out of my life being who I really am not just in writing but in my behavior and actions. I no longer have an employer to worry about. I got called on the carpet by a boss once in the 70's for picketing with farmworkers. And for not signing up for the favorite company charity. I did what I thought was right anyway but really worried about it. The people I love know almost all my secrets anyway. Almost.
Electronics figure here. MS 10 has disabled my MS Office and I can't get my laptop to talk to my printer. My work station is just having fits, and keeps shutting itself down. I will write on my laptop and if all else fails put it on a thumb drive and print it at my son's house. I'm calling someone I know who does this professionally for help. I'm ready to pay for help now. I surrender.
My sister told me she spent two hours yesterday on the phone with Dell getting M/S 10 back off her laptop and restored to its original configuration. I'm considering the same thing. We are both writing letters to Microsoft. Of course they have nothing to do with my camera and phone problems.
I signed up for a writing class on that focusses on memoire. It just said writing in the title, nothing about memoire but I'm in. I didn't realize memoire seems to have morphed into something a little different than when I was in college or maybe I wasn't paying attention. We are working very short stories of something personal we have experienced with which we might be struggling. I decided this morning to write about why I used to cry when I heard fire or ambulance sirens. I have always pulled over for them but I used to cry so hard sometimes I couldn't drive on for a bit and had no idea why.
Reading personal stuff face to face with an audience that at this point is composed of people I don't know right now is a challenge too. I write here before people I mostly have never seen or spoken with in person. I have often admired writers who have courageously laid their lives out in print and wanted to do the same. I never expected at 73 to be thinking "what will they think of me if I say this or that?"
I 'll do it. I'd like to go out of my life being who I really am not just in writing but in my behavior and actions. I no longer have an employer to worry about. I got called on the carpet by a boss once in the 70's for picketing with farmworkers. And for not signing up for the favorite company charity. I did what I thought was right anyway but really worried about it. The people I love know almost all my secrets anyway. Almost.
Electronics figure here. MS 10 has disabled my MS Office and I can't get my laptop to talk to my printer. My work station is just having fits, and keeps shutting itself down. I will write on my laptop and if all else fails put it on a thumb drive and print it at my son's house. I'm calling someone I know who does this professionally for help. I'm ready to pay for help now. I surrender.

8 Comments:
The internet is a mystery to me but we do what we must. Good for you to challenge yourself :)
Interesting on the class. It sounds like a good thing that will stretch you. I have the same reluctance to share personal stuff about myself. I write books that often do reveal some of my thinking but the fictional characters are never me and that makes it safer. Some of the blogs are very revealing of what the writers are going through and then there is reality tv. I guess we are an age of wanting to go within for ourselves and learn from what others have experienced.
It will be interesting to see how this unfolds. I have been trying to expand my horizons, small steps, but steps none the less.
Oh the trials of the writer. You have my sympathy. I couldn't see the moon. Lucky you on the West Coast.
We have 10 on our laptop, and it's mostly Windows 7. What's wrong with it? Yes, I loved my writing memoir class. Today I almost finished the first draft of the essay I'm doing on the Reichsautobahn. LOL I did not go to sleep at the computer either.
Mage - I wish I knew what caused it. Worked fine until I downloaded 10. Runs slow, sometimes won't turn off. Sometimes it turns itself back on. Perhaps I'm just not used to it!? Someone coming over to link it up with my printer again, I gave up :-)
I agree. It runs slower than slow here too. G is struggling to get Win 10 off the laptop now. Right now. I like the new picture. :)
Thanks for commenting on my post!! I think that Windows 10 had a slow roll-out and thus should have lots of publicity about the planned obsolescence forced on us. I have a very good old printer that does not have a driver for W-10 and that makes me very angry.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home