My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Friday, December 18, 2015

Christmas Preparations



Dithered around between real tree, fake tree, live tree, almost bought a 4' hot pink tree, maybe next year. I went home with a 4' fake green tree on sale.  I got out the boxes of decorations, enough a much bigger tree.  There are so many memories attached to those decorations.  There are two little paper mache dinosaurs, an orange one and a green one. One for each son when they first "discovered" dinosaurs. They are still big fans. There a four tiny sleds from Lillian Vernon with each one of our names on them and my collection of Christopher Radko glass ornaments.  A glass ball made out of St. Helen's ash purchased the Christmas after the old girl spewed ash all over us. A 100' feet of Life Saver-like plastic candy chain we got for nearly nothing at a whole-sale nursery supply place.  The boys were little and it took a lot of persuading that they REALLY couldn't eat them. Origami birds my father made. Ornaments the boys made. The nativity came from the Grotto gift store in Portland, Oregon a few years back.  Shelves with 100's of crèche on them.  All these years I thought they were made in Italy.  My grandgirl turned them over and announced, "Made in China." Ha, ha, what do I know? The priest tending the store had written the name of each of three Wisemen on the bottom labels so I would know who they were but I've never looked.



This well loved weathered angel tree topper came from Woolworth's for the first Christmas the boys' Dad and I celebrated in 1966. He was in school and we were broke. She's 50 years old next year. OMG! She's been on every tree ever since.  We looked at fancier many times but none of us could give her up.  She's been on little trees in apartments to 10' glittering firs when we lived in a huge 1903 house near Greenlake in Seattle. She has seen it all.


I still have to find a joke gift for a family dinner gift exchange tomorrow.  And because flooding north of us held up our mail for three days last week I am expecting an Amazon deluge tomorrow. I hope.  Is Amazon our substitute for the Sears Christmas catalog?  Miss seeing that, and the outrageous Neiman Marcus Christmas catalog too. 

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Mage said...

I so like your tree. Mine may be red-focused this year, but each of my ornaments have a story too. You are going to have to turn over those wize men tho. Even if you don't, I do want to know their names. :)

December 18, 2015 at 3:48 PM  
Blogger Celia said...

Balthazaar , Melchoir and, Caspar.

December 18, 2015 at 8:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could use some of the old ornaments, however, I gave them to my daughter who always installs a big tree. I have a miniature tree with little ornaments these days. Merry Christms to you and yours Celia.

December 19, 2015 at 8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS saw Peter Paul Rubens three wise men installed in the National Gallery last year. Beautiful and the first time they had been reunited in ages.

December 19, 2015 at 8:40 AM  
Blogger Brig said...

Merry Christmas Celia. Blessings of the season on you and yours. I caved and put up mom's small fake tree. Next year it's back to the real thing. Was in HD and came across fir sticks to hang from your Christmas tree to make it smell like the real thing.... nope that stuff doesn't begin to smell like a real tree.

December 24, 2015 at 4:31 PM  
Blogger Beate said...

I hope you had an amazing Christmas week last week! :)
It's so wonderful when the tree ornaments collect all the memories over the years and then every year when we decorate the tree we smile remembering those little things.
I'm amazed you've had the angel for so long, that is absolutely amazing! I can totally understand none of you want to give her up :)
Have a wonderful week!
Lots of hugs to you,
Beate

December 28, 2015 at 10:24 PM  
Blogger Maggie May said...

Hope you had a lovely time. I like the tree and the angel. I think that when we get out the decorations a lot of reminiscing goes on when the older decorations plop out of the box. We can't get rid of them though, can we? All those memories...... Woolworth's is one of them!
Happy New year!
Maggie x

January 4, 2016 at 4:08 AM  
Blogger Kathe W. said...

what nice memories all those ornaments can bring! Happy New Year!

January 12, 2016 at 11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home