A Holiday
New Year's Eve found me with my youngest son Dave's family in cabins on Long Beach, WA. Four days were spent exploring, walking, playing games and, for me and five teenaged girls, sleeping a lot. Dave's family has 9 kids, currently aged 17 down to two aged four. Several are adopted which is why there are 2 aged four, 2 aged 9, and a clump of teens. It's hard to find a place that will hold 12 people which is why this two cabin arrangement is nice. Room for all but with someplace else to go. My amazing daughter-in-law Heather planned and cooked for all of us; we helped but I think sometimes we just get in her way.
Left is the large cabin's living room and it's very cozy fireplace. It was sunny and clear though the temps were 30° during the day. On the right looks out of my cabin over the deck. A few years ago you could see the ocean before the trees grew up but they shelter the place from some very vigorous winds. There's a short path to the beach.
The start of our trip took us to a fish hatchery near Cascade Locks, Oregon. It was quite icy and Dave kept my less than agile self from taking a flyer.
This is a going home picture, a view from the Astoria Maritime Museum looking north and west over the Columbia River towards the Columbia Bar.
All the freighters/ships that enter into the Columbia from the Pacific wait for the pilot boat to come and get them. The pilot comes aboard and takes over the ship and guides it through these rough waters into the river proper while the pilot boat comes along behind. We were told the primary method of pilot boarding is by helicopter although it can be done by boat in calmer water. You can read about the pilots here. http://www.columbiariverbarpilots.com/ in business since 1846.
As I write this the Bar Pilot page weather says gales and high seas for today. Many years ago on a salmon charter out of Westport, WA, our boat, one other charter, and a coast guard cutter got caught by a surprise Pacific storm outside the Westport WA bar and couldn't get back in or out of it. Nothing can make you feel so tiny and respectful of the ocean as riding out those gigantic swells in your life jacket and then from atop a swell you see your tiny looking companion boats below you as your captain struggles to stay atop and not ride down on them. Then its your turn and you see the Coastguard cutter many yards over your head. You can hear the engines race as the props come out of the water when are on the side of a swell while keeping the bow up as much as it can be. I am so grateful I'm not prone to seasickness or panic. It was an amazing experience while I am oddly glad of it, I never want have to do it again. The pilots and the Coast Guard crews have my endless respect.
On a final note we had the best fish and chips I have ever had at Bowpicker's in Astoria. Beer battered tuna, and wonderful fries. Cash only, we had to clean out all our purses and pockets to scrounge up $ for 12 servings but yum, yum, yum. http://www.bowpicker.com/ I feel like a traitor to my hometown but they were even better than the Totem House used to be in Seattle.
We had dry roads all the way home the last day missing the ice and snow that came the next day up the Columbia Gorge. Happy New Year.
Left is the large cabin's living room and it's very cozy fireplace. It was sunny and clear though the temps were 30° during the day. On the right looks out of my cabin over the deck. A few years ago you could see the ocean before the trees grew up but they shelter the place from some very vigorous winds. There's a short path to the beach.
Dave and Jacob on their way to the sturgeon ponds.
All the freighters/ships that enter into the Columbia from the Pacific wait for the pilot boat to come and get them. The pilot comes aboard and takes over the ship and guides it through these rough waters into the river proper while the pilot boat comes along behind. We were told the primary method of pilot boarding is by helicopter although it can be done by boat in calmer water. You can read about the pilots here. http://www.columbiariverbarpilots.com/ in business since 1846.
As I write this the Bar Pilot page weather says gales and high seas for today. Many years ago on a salmon charter out of Westport, WA, our boat, one other charter, and a coast guard cutter got caught by a surprise Pacific storm outside the Westport WA bar and couldn't get back in or out of it. Nothing can make you feel so tiny and respectful of the ocean as riding out those gigantic swells in your life jacket and then from atop a swell you see your tiny looking companion boats below you as your captain struggles to stay atop and not ride down on them. Then its your turn and you see the Coastguard cutter many yards over your head. You can hear the engines race as the props come out of the water when are on the side of a swell while keeping the bow up as much as it can be. I am so grateful I'm not prone to seasickness or panic. It was an amazing experience while I am oddly glad of it, I never want have to do it again. The pilots and the Coast Guard crews have my endless respect.
On a final note we had the best fish and chips I have ever had at Bowpicker's in Astoria. Beer battered tuna, and wonderful fries. Cash only, we had to clean out all our purses and pockets to scrounge up $ for 12 servings but yum, yum, yum. http://www.bowpicker.com/ I feel like a traitor to my hometown but they were even better than the Totem House used to be in Seattle.
We had dry roads all the way home the last day missing the ice and snow that came the next day up the Columbia Gorge. Happy New Year.





11 Comments:
Sounds wonderful. I like Long Beach but it's been years since we've been there.
It was wonderful Rain. We came just after the flood waters receded and left the day before the weather came in again. Kids ran and ran and ran. Very quiet in the evenings.
Nice beginning to 2016! Looks like you had a great time. And avoided the worst of the weather.
Hugs
I'm so happy you had such an amazing time with your family! I love that they have such a beautiful family of 9 kids and that they adopted some kids :) It must have been so much fun to spend this time with them :)
Have a wonderful day, Celia!
Lots of hugs to you,
Beate
Long Beach is special. Family go there a lot. Glad you had a great time.
Oh I love Long Beach- haven't been therefor quite awhile. Thanks for sharing your time there-2 cabins made a lot of sense! And isn't your family just the best!
Happy New Year!
Thanks for visiting my blog- it was a dark post- nightmare says it all! Cheers- thank goodness I am not that gloomy very often- not sure where that came from.
How nice to see you at last. What a wonderful gathering that must have been....and so glad you could go. Happy new year to you and yours. :)
I had no idea that there were so many of you guys! What a wonderful, loving family. Adoption itself is such an enormous gift to all involved. Sometimes I wish we had taken that route. Your post made me want to go to the beach! We still have not been during a winter in all these years of spending time there. We keep saying we will. We want to see what a winter storm is like oceanfront.
What wonderful vacation and story about it. Enjoyed this post very much. I don't know a lot about the NW coast.
It all sounded superb!
It was a good start to the New Year.
Maggie x
Just wanted to say what an absolutely amazing comment I read of yours on Maggie May's post. About your sister. Oh, it gave me goosebumps as I have a sister like that - she sets my teeth on edge - all the time! And right now she is quite ill, so I have had to change my attitude to being more patient and loving with her.
But - I still make my judgements (and I also thought I was not a judgemental person). Her illnesses are addiction related, so it's easy to place blame.
Your comment about giving up an attitude and becoming a more loving person just hit home with me. I think I really needed to read that right now. Thank you! God Bless.
Hugs,
p.s. - I never did the Lent thing, but it doesn't matter; there is always room for change.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home