My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Friday, February 26, 2016

The week ends...

Exciting Friday, not in a good way but with a good outcome.  There was a kitchen fire in an upstairs condo in my building.  Fortunately we have a big fire extinguisher available and my neighbor who is a fireman was home.  Fire department arrived and finished it up.  All is well except for the eau d'phew from burnt food.  One of the advantages of a smaller town, all the fire stations are very close.

I'm still learning with my laptop and MS10 so I'm taking my taxes to AARP at the Senior Center to be done.  Meanwhile I fiddled around with Google Docs and managed to make myself a budget. I haven't done that for two years now. It was kind of an eye opener. My power bill has gone up, the property taxes have really gone up, and our condo homeowner's fees have just gone up, again.  Then I got a note in the mail from my credit union telling me they'd love to lock up my spare change in a CD for a zillion months so they can pay me teeney % to play with my spare change.  I remember when my boys were little many years ago I had CD's for them that paid 13%.  Oh well, I used to be skinny too.

My birthday is next month and this is the year I needed to renew my driver's license. While standing in line I realized I will 80 before I have to do this again. For the first time in decades they were actually asking people for their weight and height.  I am now both shorter and heavier than I was when I got a license here 16 years ago. I suppose that means my BMI is ridiculous with more of me stuffed into less space.  I have one of those yearly Medicare wellness visits scheduled next month, I wonder how much of that extra 18 pounds I can unload in four weeks, probably not much. I cleaned out all the not-great food out of my cupboards and am cooking up veggie soups again and snacking on baby carrots and cherry tomatoes instead of muffins and almond butter.  That might help right there.  Went back to 1 egg veggie omelets which I like, instead of 2 egg ham omelets.  Put it all on in four months. Bet it takes longer than that undo.


My eldest grandgirl is off to Western Washington University in Bellingham with her mother today. She has an audition for a scholarship with their choir.  She's been in the Walla Walla High School choir all four years, voice and piano lessons.  She has a good program, a variety of works in several languages as she just completed competing in the state wide competitions for Washington.  She sings with an adult choir as well.  I am very excited for her plus every bit helps as she's the oldest of nine children. She's planning on taking Linguistics and Music. Prayers up for her success.


Choir girl and her Dad after a Seahawk's game.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely girl. Yes, prayers for her.

As far as weight goes, sounds like you are on the right track. I've done Weight Watchers for four or five years...lost count. Dropped 40 pounds and kept it off, although Doc wants me to lose more, more, more. Ha Ha. I always get the cabbage soup lecture when I see him. recently discovered Florentine eggs...how to make them, and WW only charges me a few points for this.

Glad the fire was not too serious and I love the Eau de Phew.

February 27, 2016 at 6:42 AM  
Blogger Rain Trueax said...

I don't even want to think about my weight. Ugh! It snuck up on me but I also don't care enough to actually diet. I like food too much ;)

February 27, 2016 at 8:15 AM  
Blogger Brig said...

I've diligently worked on keeping my winter weight up, and have far exceeded what I needed, now it is past time to work on summer weight, damn. There is a family gathering this summer and I could stand to be 20# lighter. dble damn.

Glad to hear you are safe and Congrats to the granddaughter!

February 27, 2016 at 1:15 PM  
Blogger Tabor said...

Wish I had only 18 pounds to lose! I am now running three times a week over 4 miles each time with real intensity, but not seeing a single benefit other than I need a nap each time at the end! I watch what I eat, and while smaller portions, I cannot make my self totally give up the good stuff. Who wants to die on poached fish.

February 28, 2016 at 3:48 AM  
Blogger Kathe W. said...

oh my- glad there was nothing worse than eau de pew after the fire. Your poor neighbor- that must have been frightening!
One of my nieces is at the University in Bellingham- a single mom balancing two little daughters while getting her Masters in Speech Language Pathology. My hat's off to her! Good luck and best wishes to your Grand daughter!

March 3, 2016 at 10:00 AM  
Blogger Maggie May said...

Glad the fire didn't get a hold. Quite scary.

Good luck to your granddaughter with the scholarship. She's lovely!

18lbs easy to put on (as I'm overweight too.) Like you say not so easy to undo. Wish you success with that.

Maggie x

March 7, 2016 at 9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home