So many books...
I just finished Thomas Mullen's “The Many Deaths of the Firefly Brothers.” The Fireson brothers are depression era bank robbers busily removing money from mid-western banks. Then they kill someone and work their way up the wanted list. After being trapped in a gun fight with authorities they wake up, riddled with bullets in a police morgue, but alive. It's a bizarre premise but a very readable story. Mullen has done his research on the depression.
I liked it enough that I took out his first book, "The Last Town On Earth" from the library to read. For it Mullen won The James Fenimore Cooper Prize for the best Historical American fiction by the Society of American Historians. This is his better book and takes place in Washington State, my neck of the woods. Again his research is great. One of the characters in it is a survivor of the Everett, WA Massacre in November of 1916, as was my grandfather who was a striking mill worker and father of my own 5 month-old father at the time. At the time of the the strikes came the "Spanish Flu" and WW1. This out-in-woods mill town builds a guarded barricades to keep all comers away. The naiveté of a couple of men on an isolated road being able to protect their inhabits unravels in many ways.
Labels: books, Thomas Mullen




7 Comments:
That flu struck mostly the young and was interestingly specific on who it targeted agewise. My grandmother's beloved brother died in it. Powerful family story goes with that. My mother and her sisters also got sick but they survived it.
The second book on your list looks promising, especially as it won the JFC award. Happy Saint Patricks Day.
I can't believe I haven't been over here to your blog this week. Would love to see the Irish flag some year.
Haven't read either of those books.
Hope you had a happy Birthday on St. Patrick's Day.
Maggie x
The Last Town on Earth looks and sounds very intriguing!
And I so hope you had a happy birthday. Lovely reviews. I will look for the books as I shelve now.
I shall add these to my reading list. Great post.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home