It's another rainy Friday
I am still a big fan of Prince. A friend posted this on fb and so did I. It's a sound check for a show he did in Japan some time back. To me it epitomizes how talented he was. Prince playing "Summertime".
I am making a sweet potato soup. Got them chopped up and in the double boiler. Then I will just add some sautéed onions and garlic and whir it up in my blender with some garam masala and pepper. Voila! It's enough for dinner and lunch tomorrow. I am using up my veggies and other food that has been sitting on the verge of too long on the shelf. Cooking mostly for one, I think I waste too much food so I am trying to be more thoughtful about what I buy and remembering to cook it up. I avoid canned stuff and use frozen veggies but sometimes it's hard to use up a head of lettuce or bok choy before it fades into ickiness or the potatoes sprout and try to climb out of the drawer. Soup is my favorite and keeps me from stuffing the landfill with what was perfectly good food. Later this afternoon two brown bananas will become banana bread.
In between I have the privilege and anxiety of writing a recommendation for a scholarship from our church for my eldest granddaughter. I know her so well and yet I find I don't know the details of many things she has done. She came over last night and we talked about her plans. I have to say more than "give my lovely grandgirl money please." She plans to major in linguistics and learns languages easily. She went through grade school in a Spanish immersion class successfully and is currently taking the proficiency tests for that and French.
How to say that in a way that is meaningful? And since I am after all her grandmother, I feel hard data is necessary. I was employed at one time writing resumes and other applications for people and I have the weekend to finish it. I also worked as an editor but as many of you know editing your own productions is be tricky. I hope to send it out to a friend to proof and edit tonight.
Hope your weekend is good.
I am making a sweet potato soup. Got them chopped up and in the double boiler. Then I will just add some sautéed onions and garlic and whir it up in my blender with some garam masala and pepper. Voila! It's enough for dinner and lunch tomorrow. I am using up my veggies and other food that has been sitting on the verge of too long on the shelf. Cooking mostly for one, I think I waste too much food so I am trying to be more thoughtful about what I buy and remembering to cook it up. I avoid canned stuff and use frozen veggies but sometimes it's hard to use up a head of lettuce or bok choy before it fades into ickiness or the potatoes sprout and try to climb out of the drawer. Soup is my favorite and keeps me from stuffing the landfill with what was perfectly good food. Later this afternoon two brown bananas will become banana bread.
In between I have the privilege and anxiety of writing a recommendation for a scholarship from our church for my eldest granddaughter. I know her so well and yet I find I don't know the details of many things she has done. She came over last night and we talked about her plans. I have to say more than "give my lovely grandgirl money please." She plans to major in linguistics and learns languages easily. She went through grade school in a Spanish immersion class successfully and is currently taking the proficiency tests for that and French.
How to say that in a way that is meaningful? And since I am after all her grandmother, I feel hard data is necessary. I was employed at one time writing resumes and other applications for people and I have the weekend to finish it. I also worked as an editor but as many of you know editing your own productions is be tricky. I hope to send it out to a friend to proof and edit tonight.
Hope your weekend is good.

6 Comments:
Glad I found your blog. Good luck with the recommendation!
I hope you manage a glowing report for your Granddaughter. Good luck with that.
You sound as though you're being very sensible with cooking.....freezing the left overs instead of throwing away. I try to do that too but I guess I still eat bigger portions than I need, judging by my figure.
Was a shock about Prince, wasn't it? We've lost lots of celebrities this year and it's only April.
Maggie x
Nice video. I particularly like this piece. Thanks for the food tip. I cook for two and its good to freeze some if you can.
nice to read your blog- I've been immersed far too long with the A-Z thing- now back to reading yours and other blogs that have been neglected! You must be very proud of your Grandaughter! How wonderful to have such a lovey young woman in your family! Cheers!
Hello, Celia. I was a huge fan of Prince as well. One of the most talented performers ever. I will miss him greatly.
Hello Celia, My husband and I try not to waste food. I, too, make what I like to call "hearty" soups or stews when I notice we have bits and pieces left that need to be used. Sometimes, I freeze over-ripe fruit to use in smoothies or breads. Hope your recommendation wasn't too hard to write. Your granddaughter sounds lovely.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home