My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Home Alone - Not the Movie and Meteors

In an odd convergence three large sections of my family have all gone on vacations.  My youngest son's family here is spread out, 9 grandchild in various places, not with me, and their parents on Maui celebrating their 20th anniversary. This is where they spent their honeymoon.  My youngest sister and her family are vacationing Colorado before they drop their eldest off in Fort Collins for her second year in college.  Another is in Missouri for a wedding and then delivering a child to college in Virginia and sight seeing their way home.

I wondered if I'd miss them.  Feeling a little guilty but I have to admit I'm enjoying the break.  I've been opening boxes from my move two years ago and going through the closets and getting rid of stuff.  Even gave away some cookbooks.  I had two shelves of them.  Now I have one.  Briefly wondered if I should save them for the grandkids but I wonder if any of them will even cook. One or two maybe.

I've organized a little jaunt into the hills tonight to get a view of the Perseids meteor shower tonight. The biggest glare is the Washington State Prison just on the edge of town.  We'll be off in the other direction putting some foothills between us and the lights of town and said prison.  I'm making a little picnic snack, charging my camera and the gas tank is full. It's supposed to be a good one tonight and tomorrow night.  The skies have cleared here and we are ready to go.


  Composed Image of Perseids over Mt. Rainier by Matt Dieterich



4 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

Enjoy the astral spectacle.

August 11, 2016 at 3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are supposed to see the meteor shower here also. I love this. In the nineteenth century, rural folks thought all the stars fell from the skies. Amazing.

Nice to have the place to yourself. I wondered which college in Virginia? My granddaughters went to UVA, VA tech, Madison, and George Mason (her mom's Alma Mata). Now the oldest is at Mary Washington, my Alma Mata.

August 12, 2016 at 7:56 AM  
Blogger Mage said...

Oh, isn't that just lovely. We can't see it from here instead giving our viewing time to the Olympics. Yes, getting unpacked at last is heroic.

August 15, 2016 at 7:38 PM  
Blogger Optimistic Existentialist said...

Believe it or not, I have never seen a meteor shower. I want to see one so bad! But I always fall asleep :)

I wish you a pleasant weekend!!

August 19, 2016 at 12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home