Moving Day
My daughter-n-law Heather, the four youngest grands, and myself scurried over to Whitman College Friday to watch a house being moved. Lovely thing about a small town is how close you can get for your viewing pleasure. There were two trucks with cherry pickers to lift the lines as they slowly entered the intersection to cross the street. The usual suspects were all there, Charter, PocketInet, CenturyLink, et.al. On the right side of the house you can see the chimney which had been nicely preserved with just the top lopped neatly off below the roof line.
This sweet little house has been part of the landscape of the Whitman Campus since in was built sometime in the 30's I believe. I'm happy that someone bought it and is giving it a new home.
There were three lovely, very old houses from the late 1890's near and owned by the hospital here. They offered them for free if someone would take them. They offered them for salvage. There were no takers. Then they were demolished and a parking lot is going in. Makes me sad. Two of them were unique and looked decent but who knows? I suppose the rehabbing costs could be intimidating. The cost of a lot certainly is. There is another small home east of downtown that escaped demolition in a business district because of its history and that it belonged to a prominent citizen in the past. I really hate to see the domestic history of our small town disappear this way. It is change but not necessarily progress especially in light of the fact that small family homes are disappearing here.
My life is quiet right now. It was 58° this morning but supposed to close to 100° this afternoon. My mornings are rushed. Getting errands done, trying to get a walk in before the heat sets in. I have good, efficient and affordable A/C but after a few weeks of this I feel somewhat out of it. I feel like the transport ship in "Mr. Roberts," traveling “ ...from Tedium to Apathy and back; about five days each way. It makes an occasional trip to Monotony, and once it made a run all the way to Ennui..."
It won't last forever.
Just a postscript my sweet grandgirl Sophie...
is 20 today. Happy Birthday darling.
This sweet little house has been part of the landscape of the Whitman Campus since in was built sometime in the 30's I believe. I'm happy that someone bought it and is giving it a new home.
There were three lovely, very old houses from the late 1890's near and owned by the hospital here. They offered them for free if someone would take them. They offered them for salvage. There were no takers. Then they were demolished and a parking lot is going in. Makes me sad. Two of them were unique and looked decent but who knows? I suppose the rehabbing costs could be intimidating. The cost of a lot certainly is. There is another small home east of downtown that escaped demolition in a business district because of its history and that it belonged to a prominent citizen in the past. I really hate to see the domestic history of our small town disappear this way. It is change but not necessarily progress especially in light of the fact that small family homes are disappearing here.
My life is quiet right now. It was 58° this morning but supposed to close to 100° this afternoon. My mornings are rushed. Getting errands done, trying to get a walk in before the heat sets in. I have good, efficient and affordable A/C but after a few weeks of this I feel somewhat out of it. I feel like the transport ship in "Mr. Roberts," traveling “ ...from Tedium to Apathy and back; about five days each way. It makes an occasional trip to Monotony, and once it made a run all the way to Ennui..."
It won't last forever.
Just a postscript my sweet grandgirl Sophie...
is 20 today. Happy Birthday darling.





5 Comments:
Your sweet girl has that same sweet expression, so full of life.
I hope it cools off for you soon!
Neat when they can save them. A couple of historic homes have been moved out here in my rural area. One was moved from Fort Hoskins years back to a road about five miles away; and then as Fort Hoskins has been turned into a park, it was moved back.
Small towns are great places to live. Did you see where yours is ranked high on best places to retire?
Dog days of summer here... and hot, hot, hot. All the oaks are dropping leaves, and some of the ashes are turning color... roll on fall.
Beautiful grandgirl, Happy Birthday to her!
A very pretty girl and she looks sweet. Interesting story about moving house. we have several houses like this in our neighborhood. The neighborhood is supposed to be protected by the Historic Preservation Act, lthough several houses have been razed to create McMansions. sad. Looks like your house might be a Sears house?
Brig - yes I did see that. I have to admit to having mixed feelings about that. I thought it was a good place to retire so I moved here 17 years ago, and I have family here. I worry about it getting too touristy curmudgeon that I am. And the real estate prices have soared but that's not unique to us. I'm seeing the leaves turn here too. Early fall?
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home