My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Friday, September 2, 2016

Fall is Coming - maybe

The is in the low 70's now and predicted to stay that way for the next week.  Trees are turning color a little and leaves are falling that don't look like they fell just from lack of water.  It may rain.  Much as we need it and I like it I hope it waits until after Monday as the County Fair is on and it would be nice if it doesn't get rained out.  I plan to go to the Farmer's Market tomorrow, I haven't been since last year. I've added a lot more veggies to my diet and those fresh off the farm ones are lovely. Been shopping up my fruits and veggies from a couple of local stores run by home grown farmers here. I will grieve when the peaches go away but I did stash away many bags of blueberries in my freezer.

My oldest son Chris is waiting to hear about a new job he applied for last week. I sure hope he's successful. I know he wants and would like it.  Meanwhile he is finishing up his art for the annual fund raiser for ArtWalla here.  There's a nice show at a winery and both ArtWalla and the artists make money from it.

Son David is getting excited about the coming fall salmon run in these here parts.  I'll be out with him on a couple of these trips.  I have my "special" fishing gloves, actually they are just very tight gardening gloves with a rubbery surface so I can keep my grip on the reel when I haul in my next big one. I hope, I hope, I hope.

A catch from 2014

October 2015

I think he is channeling his grandfather who was a lifelong fisherman and a fisheries biologist.  I've been sorting through our old photos trying to find one in particular with no luck.  But I found this one. Dad spent his college summers doing research in Alaska.  Later when I was in high school he still was spending summers in Alaska only on the Bering Sea as a research observer on foreign vessel. often on Japanese ships. He had learned to speak Japanese by then.

Dad in Alaska sometime in the 1930's

I truly hope your Labor Day weekend is good and that you will all stay safe and enjoy yourselves.

7 Comments:

Blogger Rain Trueax said...

It feels like autumn is here also. My dad was a lifelong fisherman and so is my brother. My husband fly fishes and varies for how much he enjoys it.

September 2, 2016 at 2:30 PM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

I enjoyed learning about your Dad's work. It sounds fascinating. No wonder your son enjoys fishing. Your Dad will smile to see you involved! Best of luck!

September 2, 2016 at 3:57 PM  
Blogger Tabor said...

I do love salmon and wish we could fish for it here!

September 3, 2016 at 9:30 AM  
Blogger Brig said...

I hope you hook into some big ones. Home smoked salmon is the best.
All the signs are out here that we will have an early fall. No complaints from me, I'm ready for it to be cooler.
I see where the weather service is warning of snow and cold weather in Western Montana, now.

September 3, 2016 at 2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful post Celia. Lovethe fishy photos. Farmer's Market. I think I will do that today too.

September 4, 2016 at 7:28 AM  
Blogger Mage said...

What wonderful pictures and stories you share. Thanks so much. :)

September 7, 2016 at 8:29 AM  
Blogger Maggie May said...

Huge fish! Great pictures!
Maggie x

September 8, 2016 at 6:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home