My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Thursday, February 9, 2017

What was that bright light?

I got up before sunrise Monday and when it dawned it was dazzling. Clear blue sunny sky, dazzling snow.  Before long the streets were dry and bare. And then snow everywhere Tuesday. I had 10-year-olds and miles to go so we got into the van.  Dropped Isabel off for basketball, dropped off mail and headed for the game. No Isabel. Left the house without my phone. Duh! Got one school to call the other and sure enough she'd missed the bus. Got back in the van and retrieved her but now no parking places. Of course. Dropped her off, parked and Adam and I walked back.  She played both games because a lot of other kids were out due to the snow.  Got them both to their house just as their Mom was cooking dinner. I declined her invite as it seemed to be raining and freezing. Ran for home.

Since then it has been snow, rain, ice and more ice. This is a winter of records.Today Thursday half the town is shut down.  All the schools are closed including the three colleges and many businesses as well.  Parts of the highways are closed. Trucks and cars off the roads everywhere. God bless our police, fire fighters and EMTs. What a mess. Where would we be without them?

Photo: Walla Walla Sheriff's Department

This is a main commute and truck route out of town. People who can't turn around and go home are just stuck there for now.

I can't complain, I'm warm and safe. Not out of coffee.  My daughter-in-law Heather is home with 9 of our 10 grandkids. I told her to put the eldest ones in charge (they like to boss everyone anyway) and hide in the bedroom.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to drive or walk on ice.

February 9, 2017 at 10:02 AM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

Stay safe and cozy. Spring is on the horizon!

February 9, 2017 at 10:43 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

Luckily our roads are clear of snow and ice as it's not cold enough anymore.

February 9, 2017 at 11:02 AM  
Blogger Rain Trueax said...

It was 57°F last night when the heavy rains and winds arrived-- pineapple express. Now it's gray out there and not doing anything exciting. I'll settle for that. The cool thing is I saw the first of the finches changing colors to yellow. Breeding season must be here. The hummers apparently made it through the winter; so nesting for them might be early :)

February 9, 2017 at 11:29 AM  
Blogger Tabor said...

You give good grandma advice. We never got the predicted snow storm just the very cold wind.

February 9, 2017 at 11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home