Spring Maybe
So I didn't go see "Hidden Figures" or "Lion" last week. My sons and I went to see "Logan." It was very violent and surprisingly good. Huge Jackman put in a tremendous performance. I won't be taking the younger kids to see it.
This afternoon son Chris and I are seeing a production of "King Lear" on the Whitman College campus. It's a contemporary setting with Shakespearian language. We are fans and it's been a sparse year for Shakespeare. The theater is just a few blocks from both our homes. Whitman has lots of interesting things to do and see. So do the other two colleges here. Walla Walla Community College and Walla Walla University next door in the town of College Place. Sometimes, such as after two months of icy snow, I have to remind myself why I moved here.
The March weather is being its tricky self again, 55° one day and 37°. Sunshine and then buckets of rain but not freezing so far. It amazes me what a little sun can do for my attitude. Last week Isabel an I took a little walk on one of the colder and windier days. I gave up before she did.
This afternoon son Chris and I are seeing a production of "King Lear" on the Whitman College campus. It's a contemporary setting with Shakespearian language. We are fans and it's been a sparse year for Shakespeare. The theater is just a few blocks from both our homes. Whitman has lots of interesting things to do and see. So do the other two colleges here. Walla Walla Community College and Walla Walla University next door in the town of College Place. Sometimes, such as after two months of icy snow, I have to remind myself why I moved here.
The March weather is being its tricky self again, 55° one day and 37°. Sunshine and then buckets of rain but not freezing so far. It amazes me what a little sun can do for my attitude. Last week Isabel an I took a little walk on one of the colder and windier days. I gave up before she did.
Isabel roaming the grassy banks of Bennington Lake
I'm emerging from my winter hibernation I think. Decided to volunteer at Fort Walla Walla Museum again. There's "new" volunteer orientation on the 22nd. Lots of things have changed. I was a volunteer a few years ago but gave it up to help with babies on a regular basis and to avoid my ex-husband who still worked there. He's no longer there and the babies are 5 and almost 6 now. Been a long break. I'm planning to help with events, research and am looking forward to driving the golf carts around. The lower grounds are separated by a steep hill from the upper grounds and they use golf carts to transport people who can't walk down to the village and then back up (mostly back up) for whatever reason. If they were street legal I'd get one to drive around town.
Dang. I published this in the middle of typing it. Here's the rest plus corrections.
I've got a family membership and assorted kids and I go visit several times a month during the long hot summer. I'm planning on taking the 10-year-olds to see the new exhibit of art from Mexico, Guatemala, Panama, Peru, and other Latin American countries. The population of Walla Walla is over 30% Latino with many young people. I'm excited to see it.
![]() |
Looking down hill towards the village. Photographer unknown. Not me.
|


5 Comments:
I imagine the volunteer work will be very fulfilling now that you feel you can enjoy it there.
The last scene is gorgeous.
P.S. Hidden Figures was my favourite movie last year.
I am always looking for more rewarding volunteer opportunities. I keep trying stuff and give it a year (sometimes more) before I admit I need something else.
I try to give it a year too. This museum seems to have a variety of things to do and the advantage for me of knowing people who work there.
Our weather is up and down too
This long inaction period has not been good for my soul. I want to go back to volunteering asap, but I want to return to my writing class too. If it isn't a good fit, I look for another spot right away. i think I have been with the ACS for over 8 years.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home