My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

We have wild turkeys roaming the downtown streets this week.

My sister Susan arrives for a visit today.  Almost finished the necessary house cleaning. Changing sheets. That is the most difficult household task for me these days.   Got the grandgirl Isabel detritus picked up in the guest room. Isabel claims that is HER room.  She's moved all the books for ages 10-12 in there. And all the projects she's made here and some from home.  Heather says it's not just the bedroom that Isabel thinks the whole place belongs to her. Time to start teaching her to clean it. :-) Now Susan and I can walk in there without falling over something.

I had Isabel and Adam all day yesterday as usual. Isabel had to go next door to her Mom's office to do homework. I am terrible at getting her to do it, Adam just does  his. So Adam and I played Battleship and Scrabble until lunch. Then we got in the van and headed for the Tamastslikt Museum on the Confederated Umatilla Reservation.  Neither of them have been there and it's a really good museum. I meant to leave  home at 1pm but Isabel dawdled some more and we left a little later. They were all excited because they had never been on the reservation before. Not sure what they expected. We talked a lot about how the reservations came to be and what I know about living there, not much just what friends who had lived there had told me. This one is pretty nice compared to many others in the country. Beautiful country too about 40 miles from our home and almost in Pendleton.

We were almost there when the Oregon State patrol blocked the highway in front of us. Good thing traffic was light because we all had to scramble to stop. Turned out a woman coming north (we were going south) had crossed over the median and sideswiped two southbound semis, rolled up an embankment and died. Broke the axle on one semi and dumped gallons of diesel fuel all over. The other people were uninjured. It was still closed last night. And they still don't know who she was.

I feel like my guardian angel was watching over us because if we had left on time we might have been in the middle of that accident.  It happened about 15 minutes before we got there.  I turned around right away and tried to find the other road into Mission where the museum is but found myself dead-ended at someone's ranch gate.  I couldn't get my phone map to come up. Internet is sketchy out here in places. Yes, I pulled over and parked to do it. Made me wish I had a paper map.  Then it started raining. So we voted to drive back to Fort Walla Walla Museum again as none of us had seen the Latino Exhibit there and I gave them each some $ for the gift shop.  We will try for Tamástslikt again next week when the kiddies are on spring break.

After I left the kids at their house and got home I starting thinking about our day I started crying.  I felt so sad for that woman and so thankful that it wasn't us she ran into. That 15 minutes or so Isabel dawdled may kept us away from the accident. Life is a crap shoot. Think the rain is here to stay for awhile.

Love and hugs to you all.

3 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

So sad about the accident but I am happy you and your grandchildren are OK. You were so fortunate to have been delayed!

March 29, 2017 at 9:55 AM  
Blogger Tabor said...

Thanks for your comments. I would love if one of my grands claimed a room here as her own. That means that they visit often enough to feel at home.

March 29, 2017 at 4:30 PM  
Blogger Mage said...

You are the best of gramma's.

March 31, 2017 at 10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home