My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Going Fast

Monday, I sat down at the quiet little desk in the foyer of the museum. Then two older men, museum docents,  ran in, whirling around looking at the chairs left from last night's meeting. One says "We have to move these." And "There's three, I thought it was six but it's only three!" The second asks only three kids?" "No three school busses!" And lo and behold there are three yellow school busses parking out in front. And then one more. One hundred and twenty, more or less, fourth graders, teachers and parents from Yakima about two hours away, come to tour the museum.

Someone magically disappeared all the chairs and in the space are lots o' children. Almost all smiling and all doing what they are told. First thing, a big line at the potty. Then they split them into five groups all starting in a different place. The school trip season is upon us. Store Lady hands me print outs of May and June and asks me if there is anyway I can come in for some extra hours with her on two of those gazillion kid days.  Store Lady is really Store Girl. A recent college grad making $10 an hour, and she's on crutches with a sprained ankle. And she's my dentist's daughter. The curse of small towns. I can't say "no," or can I? TBD. Anyway I brought the calendars home with me.

Tuesdays my 10 year-old grands are here. I cooked breakfast, bacon and scrambled eggs. I was good and didn't eat any bacon. They start their homework. I start my laundry. My feet are still sore from yesterday's store occupation and it's raining so I nix walking to the library. "Beauty and The Beast" are still playing here and Tuesday is $5.50 ticket day, all day. We want to go. After lunch they finish (mostly) their homework so we get in the van and head out for the 2:50pm showing. They liked it; I liked the second half better than the first half. But I nearly went to sleep during the first half. Post lunch in the dark. Maybe it wasn't the movie. I love Emma Watson and it really has quite a distinguished cast.  Then I took them home. 

Now I can't believe it's after 8pm.  The laundry is put away. I wrote and mailed thank you notes for gifts for my birthday in March, I'm a wee bit behind. I'm trying to stay awake long enough to finish PJ Tracy's "Dead Run." I already have the next one "Snow Blind" on my pile of books, and a library hold on two new books about Scotland. Going to put my jammies on and read.





1 Comments:

Blogger Marie Smith said...

i always enjoy watching teachers with classes on outings. They aren't paid nearly enough. You've been busy. Hope you feel well rested today!

April 26, 2017 at 4:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home