My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Saturday, June 3, 2017

Breathing

Image result for fish out of water

I have COPD. I also have asthma. Last week they ganged up on me and off to the hospital I went. Fortunately they let me go home the same day. Heat, dust storm, and paint fumes had pushed me over the edge. A week of prednisone and I'm on my feet again but walking very slowly.

Lack of oxygen is scary and it makes you stupid and forgetful which doesn't help at all, especially for Taking meds, paying bills or driving.  After about four days of treatment the lights came back  metaphorically. I am so grateful to and for my daughter-in-law Heather and my two sons. Even the ten year old grandkids came over and grandma-sat for day, sweeping the patio, taking out the garbage and making lunch. They are also very entertaining. Of course I have now seen enough Batman cartoons to last me forever. Ha, ha, ha.

10 Comments:

Blogger Rain Trueax said...

Have you tried those portable air cleaners? We got two of them this year-- one for bedroom and one living room. They helped a lot when the slash burning was going on. I have had asthma but mine related to gas heat, and with baseboards here, I rarely have a problem. Woodsmoke though is a different story and has led to sinus infections. These little units make a big difference for me.

June 3, 2017 at 10:26 AM  
Blogger Brig said...

Sorry you have have been going through a bad patch.
It must be terrifying to feel like you can't breathe. Great that you have family close to look out for granny.
It is true that getting older is not for sisses.

June 3, 2017 at 10:39 AM  
Blogger Michele Bilyeu said...

So sorry m, Celia❣ But so grateful you weathered through. Your grandsons sound delightful. Glad they could all light up your life during a challenging time. Sending you healing hugs 💌💌💌

June 3, 2017 at 11:23 AM  
Blogger Celia said...

Rain: thanks for the suggestions. I traded my gas heated house for an electric powered heat pump, heat and cooling in my condo and it does help. I have two of those tower air cleaners, they are a blessing for sure. My biggest problem is me, I don't much care for staying inside. I still like to walk up the river in the mornings even at a snail's pace. Woodsmoke is tricky. The biggest challenge here for me has been the 90+ heat during the last two year's fire seasons. Crossing my fingers we don't get a big fire again this year.

Brig: Thanks for your good thoughts. I know you have plenty on your plate.

Michele: It was a surprise. But it certainly makes me look around and see what is really important and how good I really have it. Hugs.

June 3, 2017 at 2:19 PM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

Hope you are feeling better and continue to do so, Celia. Thank heavens for family! You have a good one!

June 3, 2017 at 6:02 PM  
Blogger Hattie said...

Yes, there is nothing worse than being short of oxygen. I'm glad that you are feeling better.

June 4, 2017 at 12:06 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

The ups and downs - and this was definitely a down! So glad you were able to get good medical care and now are feeling better. Nice to have grandsons to help out. It's good that they can feel useful and valued. Batman? LOL. I remember the days of Dora the Explora. Any and all fairy TV shows, BackYardigans, Animals to the Rescue - but these are all for younger kids. Not sure what the 10 year old boys are watching now, but my 10 year old granddaughter is all about ICarly (yuk!) and some other kooky teen-age shows.

I think walking every day to the river is perfect! I'd do that too - it's healing for the soul to walk out in the morning and anytime by water is the best in my books!

Sending lots of hugs.

June 5, 2017 at 5:32 PM  
Blogger Mage said...

Oh, just wait, Wonder Woman just came out. LOL

I'm missing the COPD, but I certainly do understand the not breathing. I'm still coughing from that last bug I caught. Hugs....blessing on grandsons.

June 7, 2017 at 2:33 PM  
Blogger Mage said...

You have the very best support system. :)

June 9, 2017 at 11:20 AM  
Blogger Maggie May said...

Glad you are feeling better and have such a lovely, caring family.
Maggie x

June 11, 2017 at 12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home