My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, United States

Trying to live the Zen of aging.

Saturday, November 25, 2017

Quiet Day

I did not get one decent Thanksgiving photo but we had a great time.  It rained but it was nearly 65° outside. Here are the remains of the day.


The best news is my newly married Grand-girl came with her spouse.  Her mother to put it mildly did not want her to get married and they have hardly spoken since.  But us grandmothers are hard to manage.  So they were invited and we made them welcome.  I don't see reconciliation at this point in her Mom, who I love dearly, but maybe signs of acceptance.  

In spite of my vows to ignore Black Friday I did go home that night and log onto my laptop and ordered a different version of the shirt I got for my youngest son last year.  He asked for another one and whoopee, I got it for less than half of what I paid last year.  Went on to find winter hiking boots for my eldest, just like the ones he loved and just wore out last year. 

Then Friday we did make our annual trek to D&B Supply in Pendleton, Oregon. It's a farm supply/mercantile store and they have a Smartwool sock sale each Thanksgiving week. By then the sun was out. The 40 mile drive is through rolling wheat fields on one side and still green foothills of the Blue Mountains on the other.  Very little traffic and lots of horses and few cattle galumphing about enjoying themselves.

Tonight is another gathering of family from out of town before they return home.  I've enjoyed myself but honestly three days in a row and I feel my inner hermit looking for a book and a corner to hide in.  Hope your holiday was good. 

6 Comments:

Blogger Rain Trueax said...

We're back home for a quiet week-end and hopefully no shopping at all. We were in Medford at our daughter's for dinner Thursday. She's a great cook. We left early as we brought our granddaughter there to have two days with family and then she had to be back as she's in the OSU marching band and their civil war is this week-end in Eugene.

November 25, 2017 at 10:44 AM  
Blogger Marie Smith said...

The drive sounds great through that countryside. I hear you about the need to have time to yourself again. I can only take so much time in a large group too.

November 25, 2017 at 5:19 PM  
Blogger Brig said...

Willie and I went down to my granddaughter & her husband's (their first) for Thanksgiving. My daughter and the rest of her crew where there, too. Great food, lots of visiting, hugs, and laughter. My daughter had flown home that morning from a short vacation to New Orleans to visit the French quarter and a couple plantations. She had some fun stories to tell.

November 26, 2017 at 12:31 AM  
Blogger Tabor said...

Always demanding time even though we love it. I so understand the "hermit" call.

November 26, 2017 at 5:09 AM  
Blogger Mage said...

I am so sorry about the family differences. Mine seem to have grown from anger to vague acceptance. Sometimes it's a struggle on both sides. Enjoy your hermet time. Hugs too.

November 29, 2017 at 9:04 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I must agree with Mage. I really hate family discord. And mine has its share as well. Thanksgiving for us Canadians was back in October and began nicely enough, but by the end, one of the children fell down the basement and injured himself. Not seriously, but still, it was frightening for all of us.

I hope the mother of your grand-girl will come around. Life, as they say, is too short for grudges and heartbreak.

Your drive through the countryside sounds peaceful and just lovely. Oh yeah, I can relate to hermit time!

December 1, 2017 at 2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home