Cloudy Saturday and Family Thoughts
Grand-girl Natty is 17 today. She's spending her birthday competing and helping out at a big regional track meet here. She also fishes with her Dad.
She's enrolled in a program the school district has with the local community college for her junior and next year's senior year. That allows her to collect her high school diploma and her AA degree at the same time in 2019. She'll be starting Washington State University as a junior. Her older sister did the same thing and is now finishing her junior year at Western Washington University. It's good program for students and needless to say saves $$ on college tuition. I'm proud of them and can't help think how different it was for me at 17 and socially inept I was when I started college. It was good for my grades though. I feel lucky that I've lasted long enough to get to see what they're up to. The oldest, Alandra is missing from this photo as she is married and living in Bellingham while she finishes college. With a a bit of luck I hope to see where the 6-year olds, Ella and Jacob, will be headed. She's the little redhead in the front and Jacob is the little blond guy. They'll be 21 in 15 years. Hmm. That's 91 for me; good goal but I'm not taking any bets, one day at a time.
They are a family with nine kids, three homegrown and six adopted which explains why three of them will be graduating high school next year with a junior right behind them. And my Oregon grandson Nikos will be graduating in 2018 also. All the older kids work. Paper routes (also the younger ones), nannying, Dairy Queen, at the Portland zoo, and supervising summer strawberry pickers for a large farm here. Natty is a soccer referee and can be tough as nails with obstreperous parents. I was impressed, "though she be little, she is fierce," thanks Wm Shakespeare. All those girls are tiny and supercharged just like their Mom Heather.
My discovered quote of the week. Bullshit asymmetry principle.
Publicly formulated the first time in January 2013 by Alberto Brandolini, an Italian programmer, the bullshit asymmetry principle (also known as Brandolini's Law states that: "The amount of energy needed to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it." I'm taking it to heart.
She's enrolled in a program the school district has with the local community college for her junior and next year's senior year. That allows her to collect her high school diploma and her AA degree at the same time in 2019. She'll be starting Washington State University as a junior. Her older sister did the same thing and is now finishing her junior year at Western Washington University. It's good program for students and needless to say saves $$ on college tuition. I'm proud of them and can't help think how different it was for me at 17 and socially inept I was when I started college. It was good for my grades though. I feel lucky that I've lasted long enough to get to see what they're up to. The oldest, Alandra is missing from this photo as she is married and living in Bellingham while she finishes college. With a a bit of luck I hope to see where the 6-year olds, Ella and Jacob, will be headed. She's the little redhead in the front and Jacob is the little blond guy. They'll be 21 in 15 years. Hmm. That's 91 for me; good goal but I'm not taking any bets, one day at a time.
They are a family with nine kids, three homegrown and six adopted which explains why three of them will be graduating high school next year with a junior right behind them. And my Oregon grandson Nikos will be graduating in 2018 also. All the older kids work. Paper routes (also the younger ones), nannying, Dairy Queen, at the Portland zoo, and supervising summer strawberry pickers for a large farm here. Natty is a soccer referee and can be tough as nails with obstreperous parents. I was impressed, "though she be little, she is fierce," thanks Wm Shakespeare. All those girls are tiny and supercharged just like their Mom Heather.
Alandra and my son David walking down the grassy aisle at her wedding 2017.
Publicly formulated the first time in January 2013 by Alberto Brandolini, an Italian programmer, the bullshit asymmetry principle (also known as Brandolini's Law states that: "The amount of energy needed to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it." I'm taking it to heart.




4 Comments:
Lol. Great principle. How fortunate you are to see what so many of the grandkids are as young adults, Celia.
Happy Birthday Nattie!
Such a beautiful and happy looking girl.
You must be so proud!
Will continue this later....
Wonderful girl.
Thank you for posting again. I worry about you when I don't see you.
Thanks for your comments on my blog. And I envy you for your more temperate climate! Good luck with your yoga and swimming. I've found that the more I exercise the better I feel. And with Aquafit we go at our own pace. Some days I have no energy, no strength and go at half speed and it's all fine. The music peps me up! And I leave feeling better than when I started.
You must be so proud of your grands! And yes, things were far different when we were 17. I went to business college just to pass the time until I found a husband! Imagine! Got married at 19 and started a family right away.
It's good for the grands to have a part-time job. Gives them a sense of responsiblity and lessons in money management.
6 adopted children! Wow - what big hearts they must have.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home